Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys!!! I tried to upgrade 10.0 -> 2006 a couple of times... all went well. But when i rebooted i got hung up on the splash screen for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrade sleep problem

Hi guys!!!

I tried to upgrade 10.0 -> 2006 a couple of times... all went well.
    But when i rebooted i got hung up on the splash screen for a few minutes
    I deactivated the Xlogon, but i got the same problem, when i wanted to log in with normal users, i had to wait that he gave me the password prompt.

i checked the process table, and there's a "sleep 1" hanging around... each time it dies another one comes around ( very frustrating to kill a renewable process that only lives for one second )

So i tried do to a 10.0 -> 10.1... again all went well, but i got the same splash/logon problem...

At the end of my stuburness, i turn to you, my brothers in arms...

what to do?
    where can i find a doc about it? ( although a straight answer is way welcomed )

Thank you for your attention.
    Nuno

PS: using the urpmi upgrade technique

Just Joined!
    up !!!

Not easy to solve at all. Have you tried 'upgrading' (rather than a fresh install) your original OS? I think it might over-write whatever utility is causing the problem. If your data is in a separate /home partition it should be fairly safe.

Thinking about it, sleep is a utility in its own right, and you can find it in /bin/sleep ... to prove this (assuming you could get to a terminal) type: whereis sleep . I would be tempted to remove it, or zip it up and remove the original binary.

These are just ideas of course ... no guarantee they will work. Some process or other seems to be calling the sleep utility for one second only; so logically it would be a good idea to disable that option.

To use sleep from the command line you would type sleep n, where n is the number of seconds you want a given process to pause for.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    no no no

i didn't do a fresh install i did an upgrade

on this order:
    i installed 10.0
    reboot
    login root
    removed urpmi medias
    install urpmi 2006 medias ( vive easyurpmi )
    urpmi urpmi
    urpmi --auto-select
    reboot

and on the login screen i got the sandwatch for minutes and minutes

after the wait everything's normal... but each time i have this lag on the login when i boot.

PS: thanks for your reply, man...

You should type: dmesg in a terminal. Any clues in there? Also check your log files in /var/log and look for error messages.

Normally 2006 boots very quickly ... Mandriva 2005 LE was the slow booting version. I wonder what went wrong?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso