Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed my Mandriva on a new computer that had no OS on it. when I did this my interent was down. Now it will not connect to the internet. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem connect via DSL

I installed my Mandriva on a new computer that had no OS on it. when I did this my interent was down. Now it will not connect to the internet. How do I do so and how do I configure it so that I can loop my internet to my windows computer

Hi - I can't help with the Windows part of your question (I don't use it at home). The internet connection part? We're going to need more information.

How are you trying to connect to the net? Via a router or dial-up? If it's a broadband router is this wired or wireless?

Some useful commands (assuming a basic setup using an ethernet card):

ping 198.162.1.1 #Just an example... Pinging your router / outside IP addresses is useful.
    ifconfig eth0 up #Brings up your network
    ifconfig eth0 down #Takes down your network
    dhcpd -d eth0 #Starts up your Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Dsl connection problem updae

I am new to Linux
    How do I go about doing the following:
    ping 198.162.1.1 #Just an example... Pinging your router / outside IP addresses is useful.
    ifconfig eth0 up #Brings up your network
    ifconfig eth0 down #Takes down your network
    dhcpd -d eth0 #Starts up your Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

dsl

My connection is via dsl modem to an ether net card

Quote Originally Posted by rkitchen
    My connection is via dsl modem to an ether net card
    Getting online takes a little bit of work. You need all your setup details from your ISP: keep them somewhere safe because you'll need them over and over as time passes.

The first thing is to realise that you'll probably need to use a terminal/command line (the icon looks like a TV screen). You'll need to read the manual for your router as that's where you'll enter setup details ... like a log in and password for your ISP account.

You will also need to go to System>Configuration>Configure your computer and enter the settings for your DSL account under the 'Connect to the Internet section'. To use the commands I mentioned above you will need to log in as root in a terminal.

Give yourself some time to become familiar with using a command line, the Mandriva Control Centre (mcc) and do some reading in the 'Newbies' section. The good news is that using your setup you should be able to connect with few problems. Don't ask me about wireless connections though, because I don't have one.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso