Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys. I am a recent linux convert here, but am having some beginner problems. I'm using a Mandriva OS called Linux LE 2005. One big problem is this: I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't run new programs!

Hey guys. I am a recent linux convert here, but am having some beginner problems. I'm using a Mandriva OS called Linux LE 2005.

One big problem is this: I can not get ANY new program which I install to properly run on Linux. For example, I downloaded the latest version of Firefox (yes, specifically the LINUX version...) and I made a nice little home for it at:

file:/home/abben/Programs/firefox

(abben is the user name.)

But I click on the shell script called "firefox" within that folder (which ought to run firefox) and nothing happens. Well, it has this little graphic which shows you that it is opening the file, and it does that, but then nothing happens, I'm at the same folder as if I've done nothing.

I've tried to kind of trick the OS into loading up firefox, by redirecting a shortcut from a working program to firefox (hey, I'm trying), but I get this message:

KDEInit could not launch 'home/abben/Programs/firefox/firefox':
    Could not find 'home/abben/Programs/firefox/firefox' executable.

But I have loads of programs that came with linux, Konqueror (which I am using now), Kwrite, Kbear, Audacity, etc. etc. etc., which all run fine.

I also have an older version of firefox (1.0), in the usr/bin directory which runs fine.

What am I supposed to do? Is there a proper directory to unzip programs to before they will run?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Abben

Quote Originally Posted by abben
    One big problem is this: I can not get ANY new program which I install to properly run on Linux. For example, I downloaded the latest version of Firefox (yes, specifically the LINUX version...)
    Are there any other programs you've had issues with? You only mentioned Firefox. Have you tried installing it using urpmi?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Moe, thanks for the quick reply. I've also had this happen with several other programs, namely the Opera browser, Thunderbird, and Clam AV.

These were all tar.gz files, so I just unzipped them to folders as I would in windows, hoping they would run "out of the box."

Is urpmi the program at file:/usr/sbin/urpmi? I tried running that, but that just opened KWrite and showed me the coding that made up the urpmi program. Can I get KWrite out of the way somehow and just run the program?

Thanks again for the help.

Abben

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by abben
    Moe, thanks for the quick reply. I've also had this happen with several other programs, namely the Opera browser, Thunderbird, and Clam AV.

These were all tar.gz files, so I just unzipped them to folders as I would in windows, hoping they would run "out of the box."
    I don't remember ever having opened a Firefox tarball that "just ran". I remember having to run an install script that put all the files in the right places and then running it. Have you tried running the firefox/opera/clamAV scripts while logged in as root user?

Is urpmi the program at file:/usr/sbin/urpmi? I tried running that, but that just opened KWrite and showed me the coding that made up the urpmi program. Can I get KWrite out of the way somehow and just run the program?

Thanks again for the help.

Abben
    That's odd. Were you logged in as root user? urpmi is an automated install program, similar to Debian's Apt-get or Fedora's yum. I'll let someone more experienced in Mandriva give you more details though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just unpacking Firefox will work. I don't even think they have the install script anymore. Try opening it from the command line. You might need a dependency. Also, are you pointing to home/abben/Programs/firefox/firefox or to /home/abben/Programs/firefox/firefox, it won't work without the leading /
    If you are at the directory for your program, use ./thunderbird
    There is no "proper" directory to install programs, but there are some conventions. But it won't matter where they are if a program will run or not.

Just Joined!
    Moe, no, I haven't been logged in as a root user, but as "abben." Would that perhaps deny me permissions to new programs?

Lou, thanks for the input. I tried opening firefox from the command line, but I got the same non-response as if I clicked on it directly. The command line stuff closes as if Firefox is going to open, then nothing, just my desktop happily waiting for orders as if nothing happened.

While in the directory for my program Thunderbird, I did submit ./thunderbird as a command (And also with firefox, Clam AV). I got a message saying: Do you really want to execute 'file:/home/abben/Programs/thunderbird/thunderbird'? So I was excited and hoping it would run, but I clicked ok, and nothing happened. What the hell...

But thanks for the effort, Lou, I appreciate it.

It shouldn't be a problem not being root. A while back, Firefox had a problem if you installed it not as root, but I think that has been fixed.
    What do you mean that the command line closes after you type in the command? Your terminal should remain open.
    I know I have to start Firefox from the terminal the first time I use it, because it needs a dependency and I always forget what it is. Once I install the dependency, it runs fine.

Just Joined!

Wink Firefox 1.5.0.4 problems

There is no install script, but for me executing the "firefox" script does nothing but get a seg-fault.

There is also a "run-mozilla.sh" script which has lots of stuff about running gdb - hunh - why would an end user need this kind of thing?

There are lots of "lib-blah-blah-blah.so" files which seem to want to go somewhere.

My environment variables regarding library files (LD_LIBRARY_PATH and etc) are all empty.

Sheesh!

There is a script called "updater" which produces this cryptic output -

Usage: updater <dir-path> <parent-pid> [working-dir callback args...]

I give up for now at least.