Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have mandrake 10.0 which im told is an older mandriva. I plan on upgrading once i can get online. My network card doesnt work on linux so can anyone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Total linux noob. couple quick ???

I have mandrake 10.0 which im told is an older mandriva. I plan on upgrading once i can get online. My network card doesnt work on linux so can anyone recomend a usb 802.11b network adapter that works. i dont want to spend more than $75.

is there a way to rip cd with the softwear linux comes with or do i need another program.

is there an upgrade i can get to use my external hdd formated as NTFS or with i have to reformat it?

thank you

Not sure about all your questions but cd ripping is easy with Linux. I use Grip, but you have to install an mp3 encoder if that's what you want (Ogg Vorbis is there by default). I use an encoder called Lame.

3Com do good network cards
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

i recommend any wireless card with an atheros chipset. madwifi driver works great. i got a generic one on ebay for $30 including shipping that is a b/g.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    My wireless card recommendation is any with a Prism chipset - I've never had to do more than copy the firmware from the Prism 54 project to the appropriate directory(s) - in my case /etc/firmware and /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.

Probably the best place to find out what chipset a card uses is the list on the ndiswrapper wiki, as the list at linux-wlan.org is getting a bit out of date.

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027