Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by fingal Also ... if you managed to install to your Dell, try typing: startx from the command line or try: startkde If startkde works you then have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Also ... if you managed to install to your Dell, try typing:

startx from the command line or try: startkde

If startkde works you then have the option to start it up whenever you boot by changing settings in the Mandriva Control Centre. The options are under 'Boot'.

Notebooks are different ... The distro might not like you notebook's chipset.
    I didnt actully get it to install, I just got it to boot of the CD. After that it takes me to text promt

Just Joined!
    I should probably add this bit of information. I have tried booting off of 3 seperate ditro's and they all have the same thing in common. I get a text based promt and the only thing I can run is a file called WWBMU which is completly in german

Quote Originally Posted by Rollotamasi
    I didnt actully get it to install, I just got it to boot of the CD. After that it takes me to text promt
    Ahhh now I understand! Sorry about the confusion. So it sounds like your boot instructions are only available in German? I would think you can just press enter at that point. From memory .... errrr .... try typing 'linux' then hit return. These boot disks all have different options unfortunately, but should be broadly similar.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, WWBMU is a boot manager for DOS, written by some guy called Wolfgang Wirth. I never used it, but I could translate the menu into english in case you need a translation. But you should be able to boot from the CD nonetheless. For this, you should have set your BIOS to allow you to boot from CD which apparently is not activated. Thus, check your BIOS settings and set the computers boot-sequence to CD booting first, followed by harddisk booting.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
    Well, WWBMU is a boot manager for DOS, written by some guy called Wolfgang Wirth. I never used it, but I could translate the menu into english in case you need a translation. But you should be able to boot from the CD nonetheless. For this, you should have set your BIOS to allow you to boot from CD which apparently is not activated. Thus, check your BIOS settings and set the computers boot-sequence to CD booting first, followed by harddisk booting.
    Can you please translate this for me. I think that I may have installed this boot loader by mistake, and need to figure out how to get rid of it, and back to booting into Win2K3 Server. I would surely appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hiya protohippy,
    Glad you could join us here at the forums. Did you know that this thread is over 2 years old? I don't think Kojak even posts here anymore. You'd probably be best served by creating your own new thread. Good Luck!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2