Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am linux newbie and trying to install Mandrake. I downloaded the 3 CD's and burned the iso's to CD's. When I try to boot of of them, A few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant even get installer to load :(

I am linux newbie and trying to install Mandrake. I downloaded the 3 CD's and burned the iso's to CD's. When I try to boot of of them, A few lines of text appear and then the screen goes black. I wait and nothing happens. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I also tried to do a install from within windows. When I autorun the CD a "Welcome to Mandriva Linux" screen comes up but if I try to select the install option it doesnt do anything.

Any help would be greatly appericated.

Thanks

The isos may well be corrupt ... it can sometimes happen if your burn speed is too fast. Sad but true.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Cant install

I tried re-burning the ISO's at a slower speed and that didnt do anything. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollotamasi
    I tried re-burning the ISO's at a slower speed and that didnt do anything. Any other ideas?
    A hard one to be honest. Where did you download the isos from? They may be incomplete. What did you use to copy the isos with? Did you copy them as bootable isos? Sometimes people will just copy the files to CD making them un-bootable, though I expect if that was so you wouldn't see anything when you boot from them.

What make and model is your video card by the way? The isos should come complete with a checksum file, and if this doesn't report a good download then you may well have essential files missing.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Cant install

I am trying to install to a Compaq nx 6110 notebook. To test the CD I tried to install to my Dell. It boots to the CD but then takes me to a DOS type promt as opposed to starting the installtion. The only comman I can run brings up a bunch of information but its all in german

Try the following: Disable Plug'n'play in the BIOS, boot the system with extra parameters like

linux noapic

or

linux nolapic

or

linux noapic nolapic

Also, unplug all unneeded usb devices for now.
    Good luck.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Also ... if you managed to install to your Dell, try typing:

startx from the command line or try: startkde

If startkde works you then have the option to start it up whenever you boot by changing settings in the Mandriva Control Centre. The options are under 'Boot'.

Notebooks are different ... The distro might not like you notebook's chipset.

Just Joined!

Cant Install

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    Try the following: Disable Plug'n'play in the BIOS, boot the system with extra parameters like

linux noapic

or

linux nolapic

or

linux noapic nolapic

Also, unplug all unneeded usb devices for now.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the info. I can't seem to find anyplace in my BIOS setting to disable plug n play. Also, I have never had to boot a system with extra parameters. Im not sure where they are put in. Im starting to think this linux thing isnt for me

When you get to the first installation screen, hit F1 for advanced options. From there you will see a small menu and from there you can go to the advanced boot options. There you will be able to launch the installer with some of the extra parameters.

Don't say that Linux isn't for you if you haven't even used it. Give it a try, if your hardware allows you to use it. It is not so complicated as it might seem right now. If your hardware compleltely refuses to work with Linux - well, then it's bad luck.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    When you get to the first installation screen, hit F1 for advanced options. From there you will see a small menu and from there you can go to the advanced boot options. There you will be able to launch the installer with some of the extra parameters.

Don't say that Linux isn't for you if you haven't even used it. Give it a try, if your hardware allows you to use it. It is not so complicated as it might seem right now. If your hardware compleltely refuses to work with Linux - well, then it's bad luck.
    I think the problem is im not making it to the first install screen. On my laptop right after I tell it to boot to the CD the entrie screen goes black. On my desktop it just dumps me to a text promt. The install isnt even starting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast