Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Yes true ... too complicated! I installed aMSN myself several months ago with no issues at all. Strange isn't it? I just went to their website and got it from there, downloaded the rpm to my desktop, right clicked it and selected 'Software installer' from the menu. Then - as root - I installed it.

You might like to think about using Kopette or Gaim instead? Uninstalling binaries by hand is likely to be messy. You would need to locate them and do:

su
    password
    rm /bin/local/aMSN

or something very similar.
    Your idea of removing the amsn folder didn't work, but it gave me an idea. I couldn't remove the folders or the files using the GUI. But I found out that I could remove the files using the Konsole (and su-privileges), so I removed all the files (in alle the folders) and was finaly able to remove the folders. I downloaded aMSN again and installed it and this couldn't go any better, it works!!!

Well, almost...

When I want to sign in it wants to install TLS, but it can't connect to the server. So I downloaded the TLS1.5.0-linux-x86.tar.gz but now what? I found one topic on the internet but do I realy need to do these 10-steps to complete the installation? url: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=101609

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Sorry this isn't working out too well.
    You're doing everything you can, I'm just trying to undo the damage I've done
    Thanks a mile (with or without te 'e' )

Hi again. You did well to get that working! The steps to install TLS will be different for you because those 'ten steps' are meant for Fedora users. They are likely to be using the Gnome desktop environment, and the Yum package manager. I notice that in the thread you linked to it's suggested that you install the 'development' versions of certain packages.

This is usually a good idea. Sometimes - when you try to compile a package from source - you'll get a strange message telling you that some file or other is missing (often a 'header' file). This is because a development package is missing.

I didn't know that TLS was now in use rather than SSL for security/encryption ... To install that package you need to unzip it into a directory somewhere easy to get to, log in as root, cd to that directory: eg cd /home/john/tmp/tlsdirectory then ...
    su
    <password>
    ./configure
    make
    make install

And hope it compiles. If not post the error messages in here and we should be able to help. Thanks a mile.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Ok, I'm sorry I'm being an extreme newbie

I figured that it wouldn't work in Mandriva, so I didn't even try it. I thought it would be best to wait for your answer

In the configuration it's still marked as SSL, but it's using TLS. So it needs to install TLS to send my msn-password to the MS-MSN-Server. I unzipped the tls1.5.0-linx-x86.tar.gz to /home/vegterb/tls1.5 but when I start Konsol and cd to that directory I'm unable to excecute your commands:
    ./configure gives: bash: ./configure: unknown file or folder
    make gives: make: *** No target specified and no makefile could be fond. Stop.
    make install gives: make *** no line for creation of target 'install'. Stop.

How big a newbie/n00b am I being nouw (shame on me!)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Don't be sorry for asking questions ... Starting something for the first time is sooo much fun (no matter what it is). Hmmmmm, not sure why those commands don't work. Errrr: to understand why not I'd have to see your unzipped folders for myself. So some ideas:

cd to the TLS directory you mentioned which you said is /home/vegterb/tls1.5 and type ls -al
    That way you list the contents of your entire directory. You're looking for a 'makefile' which is configured in a special way so you can compile the source code for TLS. Of course, the makefile might not be where you expect it to be, so you might want to explore those directories a bit more closely. There is no guarantee that the makefile will be where you think.

Also, check that you have 'make' installed ... A quick way is to type man make (this is useful for many packages). In theory, if the manual is installed so is the binary. For some packages, it's not required to use ./configure (though this is rare) and you can just type:

make
    make install
    make clean (which is optional)

Confused? Make is the Linux/Unix utility used to run the make file. They aren't the same thing.

You probably won't have this much trouble installing some packages; many of them are simple and you'll get to the point where you'll wonder how you struggled. Something else to think about is that for those of us not using Debian based distros, we have to rely on either installing from source, using our package managers or finding rpms to help us, so it's worth searching for rpm versions of the packages we want (and as always Google is your friend here).

I hope this triggers some ideas for you?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso