Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm pretty new to linux, been using it for only a week or so. I'm using it on my second computer, so I'm really in no big rush to fix ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help with gtk

I'm pretty new to linux, been using it for only a week or so. I'm using it on my second computer, so I'm really in no big rush to fix any of my problems on it, I'm just going to take them one at a time and learn how to use linux at a leisurely pace. I'm in uni to become a software engineer, so I basically figured I should learn to use linux sooner or later.

Anyway, this is basically the first step of what will undoubtedly be a long process, but I'm trying to install glib-2.8.6, so that I can install gtk+-2.8.18, so that I can install gaim, which I need to use to do yet another thing. Anyway, installing glib gives me no problems, except I have no idea where its installing. So when I go to install gtk (the latest version of which is required for the updated version of gaim), I type ./configure in konsole and get this error:

checking for BASE_DEPENDENCIES... configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.8.5 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.9.0 cairo >= 0.9.2) were not met:

Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.8.5' but version of GLib is 2.8.1

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
    and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.

So as I've said, I've installed glib 2.8.6, but don't know where it's installing, nor do I know how to tell gtk+ where it's installing anyway. I've tried looking through all the documentation, but that wasn't much of a help.

Oh, forgot to say I'm using Mandriva 2006 on an i586.

try running
    Code:
    ldconfig
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    "command not found"

What would I be using it for anyway?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by sovux
    "command not found"

What would I be using it for anyway?
    ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache to the most recent shared libraries
    http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/ldconfig.8.html

Glib should be installed in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    glib is properly installed in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib, and I've run /sbin/ldconfig, and I'm still getting the same error.