Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to install mandriva on my external D (setup sees the HD), but as I dont have any windows setup CD, I dont want to write the linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Alternative Boot method to MBR

Hi,

I want to install mandriva on my external D (setup sees the HD), but as I dont have any windows setup CD, I dont want to write the linux bootloader on the MBR in case I dont get on with Linux (unless anyone knows of an easy way to restore Windows bootloader without setup Cd and FixMbr), as my laptop doesn't have a floppy disk I am looking at either Memory stick (if you can boot of them) or CD, does anyone know how I can create a boot disk from either or have alternative sugestions.

Thanks,

Gavin,

I'm not sure how to answer this directly, but as no-one else has replied I have a couple of ideas. Assuming you want to try Mandriva, why not get hold of a copy of Mandriva Live, or Mandriva One. I have a Mandriva One disk which you can boot from the dvd without installing. That way you can try Linux out and nothing gets broken.

Or you could try buying a USB memory stick and booting that. Read this thread for more details.

Or there are other 'live' distros. Knoppix, Slax and others. Just an idea.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso