Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi...... I installed mandrake 10.1 by burning 3 isos. I wanted to get a feel of linux but i dont any experience. Now i have run into some serious trouble. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

10.1 Sos

Hi......
    I installed mandrake 10.1 by burning 3 isos. I wanted to get a feel of linux but i dont any experience.
    Now i have run into some serious trouble.
    1. I cant boot into windows, there is so such option in the boot loader (LILO 2.5)

2. I can't see my partitions on the hardrive i was using in XP. Is my data safe? I installed lin of a seperate partition, which had some programs on it, but i dont mind if the'yre lost. But i hope my other partitions are ok and have lost nothing?

3. I wanted to login as root, but i ended up deleting my main account (dunno how never been so dumb). Now I cant login to linux even, the login window just shakes if i enter anything.

4. Hardware was recognised perfectly, (nForce 2 chipset ASUS) no probs with sound or display, however suddenly after a session sound stopped working , ALSA is not loading / running.

5. I can't logon to the net coz at first modem wasn't detected. Then it was when i gave the port as ttys01 (COM1 wateva) . but it can't dial....
    How do i configure for a 56K d-link modem, dial up PPP?

If u need anymore specific info please ask me for the details
    I'd be grateful if i got a prompt reply coz we all need the comp....

Just Joined!

Help

Hey i need help. Please help me...........

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanverve
    Hi......
    I installed mandrake 10.1 by burning 3 isos. I wanted to get a feel of linux but i dont any experience.
    Now i have run into some serious trouble.
    1. I cant boot into windows, there is so such option in the boot loader (LILO 2.5)
    More than likely all that needs to be done is your configuration file (lilo.conf) needs to have an entry added to it for XP.

2. I can't see my partitions on the hardrive i was using in XP. Is my data safe? I installed lin of a seperate partition, which had some programs on it, but i dont mind if the'yre lost. But i hope my other partitions are ok and have lost nothing?
    By default Linux won't detect NTFS partitions (that's what XP uses). You have to manually mount them and you will only be able to read from them, not write to them.

3. I wanted to login as root, but i ended up deleting my main account (dunno how never been so dumb). Now I cant login to linux even, the login window just shakes if i enter anything.
    You can't even log in as root?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Thanx

Thanx TechieMoe i'll try that out...........

Just Joined!
    Hello,
    I am now being able to access my Linux account. However I still cant access my windows data and cannot boot into Windows.
    My HDD was FAT32 when I installed XP.

There has been a major mess up somewhere. My windows partitions have changed and I have no clue where the data is. This was my first installation and I never required to format it dill date. It has precious data (don't we all have that?) I've been collecting for 3.5 yrs.

All I want right now is a program which will leech the windows files out of the disk. Then I will format it totally and start again from scratch.

Can anyone give me the names of any such program and where to download them from?

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanverve
    Hello,
    I am now being able to access my Linux account. However I still cant access my windows data and cannot boot into Windows.
    My HDD was FAT32 when I installed XP.
    How big was your Windows partition? If I'm not mistaken FAT32 has a limit on how big a partition it can handle (something like 4GB but don't quote me on that).

All I want right now is a program which will leech the windows files out of the disk. Then I will format it totally and start again from scratch.
    You should be able to mount your FAT32 partition in Linux and do any copying/backing up you want. Linux is able to read and write to FAT32 just fine.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Arrow Post Your lilo.conf File

Log into Linux. Open up a text editor such as kate. Open the file /etc/lilo.conf. Copy and paste the contents of lilo.conf into this forum. I might be able to help you then.

lilo

Hey man - don't give up on us ... This sounds like a nothing problem - we can probably get your stuff back, but need to know a few more things -

Like was said above - open a terminal window and get a root terminal from the session menu - then copy and paste the output from

Code:
    cat /etc/lilo.conf
    so we can see how the boot record is set up.

then, if you enter
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    and copy and paste the output, we can see just what is what ...
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006