Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. Firstly, I am a complete Linux newbie as I have used Windows for about 6years. Basically, I want to setup an old pc I have to become a server. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Help setting up Samba

Hi.
    Firstly, I am a complete Linux newbie as I have used Windows for about 6years. Basically, I want to setup an old pc I have to become a server. As I do not want to fund 65+ in buying another copy on Windows XP, I thought I could install Linux on this old pc. I have successfully installed Linux Mandriva and am trying to get to grips with it. Please bear in mind I am not really confident in knowing how to "execute" files and install programs and whatever on Linux but I am confident on XP.

My setup is: two wired pcs running XP, one wireless laptop running XP, wired pc running Linux Mandriva (latest version) all connected together with a Netgear DG834PN.

I want to save all of my files onto the Linux pc and share them between the XP machines. Therefore, after a bit of research, I have found out I need to use Samba. As far as I know, it is installed on the Linux machine as I can configure it's settings. I am not sure though if the server aspect of it is installed because I'm having problems making the XP machines "see" the Linux machine. I have been through the Samba tutorial and have applied all of the settings that it said to (workgroup name,WINS server,etc) but I still haven't had any luck. What am I doing wrong? I think the only problem is that Samba is not installed properly but I am unable to find out if this is the case. If it's not installed properly, how do I install it?

Any advice is welcome as I really want to get this working but im failing miserably...

Cheers, Rich

First you could try making sure samba is actually running.
    Code:
    su
    *root password*
    /etc/init.d/smb restart

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.
    When I type that in, it says "no such file or diretory"

Any Ideas?

P.s. I am typing the code into Konsole. Is that the correct place to put it? Also, is there a space between smb restart or is it smbrestart? I tried both and neither worked.

Cheers

somehow I get the feeling that the server is not installed. Try
    Code:
    su
    *root password*
    urpmi samba-server
    And then see if that first one works.

edit:
    and yes there is a space between smb restart.

Just Joined!
    Ok I tried the "urpmi samba-server" and it said "no package named samba-server." I then tried the "/etc/init.d/smb restart" again and it said "no such file or directory."

I'm guessing that therefore the samba server is not installed so how do I install it? I've downloaded it and have saved it in root's documents. I think i've unzipped it but i'm not quite sure for definate.

Cheers

What we are trying to do here is install the server using urpmi.
    This message urpmi gave you about "no package named samba-server." meant that it didn't find the program you asked for to be installed. I supose it's missing some repositories there (strange since if I remember it right this should have been on the installation disc). Try going to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    Go through the steps there and copy/paste the commands the site gives to you on the third step to your console and run them.
    This will give urpmi some addtional places to look for programs.
    After it has finished try the previous ones.

And btw that "urpmi samba-server" there can allso be done with "urpmi samba" ...

Just Joined!
    Ok I now have Samba Server fully installed on the Linux machine thanks to that website you suggested. Now when I type in "urpmi samba server" it says "the package(s) are already installed" and when I type in "/etc/init.d/smb restart" it successfully restarts Samba.

The only problem I have now is that when I logon to my XP machine, in "my network places" I can see the Samaba Server but I cannot access it. When I double click on it, it says "\\Pom_house is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource." I read through the Samba help document and this might be due to the Samba server not recognising my XP machin in it's "allow" list. How do I make this XP machine have permission to access the Samba Server? If this isn't the cause of the problem, have you any other suggestions?

Cheers

check that your smb.conf file is setup correctly, see this howto for more info. My guess would be that either you have the hosts deny option set or you have some kind of firewall running.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

If this happens to be some sort of firewall issue on the linux machine it sould be quite easy to fix.
    open K-menu goto system -> settings -> setup computer
    There you should have some sort of security tab where you can configure the firewall. Check that windows file sharing (SMB) is checked as allowed service.

Edit: of course this only applies if the firewall you are using is the usual firewall that comes with Mandriva installation...

Just Joined!
    Yay! All seems to be working fine now. The XP machines can see and access the files from the Samba Server and it works brilliantly. I can even stream video accross which I thought wouldn't work very well as the Linux machine spec is very low (AMDK6 400mhz, 128mb ram)

It was the Linux firewall that was blocking the XP machines in the end. I hadn't set it to allow the Windows file sharing (smb)... d'oh!

Anyway, thanks for your help in particular djap and also AlexK for the suggestion too. Now all I need to do is try and get my Linksys WUSB54GS usb adaptor to work on the Linux machine but this seems to be a bit difficult. Googling around has showed that a fair few people haven't had much success with this partiular model so I'll have to try and persuade my dad to let me run another cable around the room. lol.

Before I do give up on the Linksys, do either of you (or anyone else) know how to successfully make it work?

Cheers again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast