Find the answer to your Linux question:
I share my computer with the other person who lives in the apartment with me. I usually stay logged in (with the session locked when I'm away) because I'm always ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Sound and multiple users

I share my computer with the other person who lives in the apartment with me. I usually stay logged in (with the session locked when I'm away) because I'm always downloading one thing or another for my clients. Whenever a second or 3rd user logs in, they don't have access to the sound. It only seems to work for the 1st user to log in.

Any ideas?

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Can they hear the sound if they are logged in alone? If not add them to sound group by
    usermod -g audio <username>
    As far as multiple logins are considered, they should all make sure that they are not sharing the same driver. I would make this possible by specifying alsa for me and oss or something else) for my friend.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!
    Yes, when only one user is logged in they have sound, regardless of who the one user is.

How do I specify a different driver for the other users?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayInSAT
    How do I specify a different driver for the other users?
    For example in xmms you can right click on the xmms gui and select options--> preferences. Now in the output plugins choose the required driver/module. Most of other applications allow such changes to be made. I know this is a compromise but to me it seems the only way out. In future if you discover a better solution please do post it on the forum as a "HOW TO". Good luck.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!

Sound for Multiple Sessions

Quote Originally Posted by apoorv_khurasia
    For example in xmms you can right click on the xmms gui and select options--> preferences. Now in the output plugins choose the required driver/module. Most of other applications allow such changes to be made. I know this is a compromise but to me it seems the only way out. In future if you discover a better solution please do post it on the forum as a "HOW TO". Good luck.
    I think there is a better way that does not involve needing a separate driver for each user.

The method outlined at the end of this KDE Forum Thread worked for me on Mandrake 10.1.