Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I need to setup linksys USB Wireless Adapter - WUSB54GCon my linux machine and am finding it really hard. Any help is highly appreciated. First tried using ndiswrapper ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linksys wusb54gc on 64bit mandriva 2006

Hi all,
    I need to setup linksys USB Wireless Adapter - WUSB54GCon my linux machine and am finding it really hard. Any help is highly appreciated.

First tried using ndiswrapper with the drivers(rt73.inf, rt73.sys, rt73.cat) from the product CD, but ndiswrapper says "Incompatible architecture for rt73.sys".
    I guess this should be because, the orginal windows driver in the cd is for 32bit machines.

As a second shot, tried to compile RT73 driver as suggested here http://funcation.blogspot.com/
    But having some complilation problems in the 64bit machine with gcc.4.0.1

~ Telinux

Just Joined!
    Unless you do massive number crunching and have more than 4GB of RAM in that 64Bit box you're better off sticking with a 32Bit OS. 64Bit OS's, no matter what flavor, still have quite a few issues and probably will for about another year or so. Save yourself a migraine and install the 32Bit system.

Firstly the drivers need to be compatible with a 64-bit OS before you can get them to install. And if the drivers are compatible, what errors are you getting when you try to compile?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hawkwind,
    I was having no problems with 64bit machine all the while when i was using WaveLan PCI adapter with Madriva 2006, it is just when i try to use linksys wusb54gc that i am having problems with the driver...

AlexK,
    I am not really sure of the drivers are compatible for 64bit machines.
    Finally, managed to get the module complied following the patch for GCC>4.0
    specified at http://opensource.bureau-cornavin.com/belkin/
    But now, not able to load the module

'insmod rt73.ko' dumps "invalid module format"

Not really sure why this occurs. May be it is due to the warning message about absence of module version and dependencies info in the compile module that appears when i compile the module.

Any info on this?

~telinux

yeah, that error probably is comming due to driver not having 64 bit support. If you really want a 64-bit linux and wireless, you could try setting up a 32 bit chroot in which the card works. Debian and Gentoo have good guides to getting this setup to work.

Other than that, a 32 bit OS is your best bet.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.