Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here's my problem: i am using mandriva powerpack edition. i dont have an internet connection at home. So i have to download all rpm packages from my office. Because of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy How can i download an rpm with all its dependancies at once?

Here's my problem:

i am using mandriva powerpack edition. i dont have an internet connection at home. So i have to download all rpm packages from my office. Because of the dependancies, it takes me about two to three weeks to completely sort out all dependancies of an rpm and to download them one by one. This is because the mandriva package manager like all others tell me when a dependancy rpm is missing when i try to install. So i have to go to work on the next day download it again, bring it home and install again. This is a vicious circle.

So is there any method with which i can download an rpm along with all its dependancies in to a folder, take it home and install it in one clean swipe?

i use rpmdrake in mandriva to install rpms. i have specified a local repository in my hard drive and put all newly downloaded dependancies (rpms) in there before installation.

Thanks loads for your help.

I don't know if it is possible to accomplish this automaticially. But, sites like http://rpm.pbone.net will show the dependancies for whichever package you are trying to download. Just download those dependancies along with the package you want to install and you should be ok.

I just don't know of an automatic way of fetching these packages other than installing Mandriva onto your office computer, and then copying over the necessary rpms from office to home.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    I don't know if it is possible to accomplish this automaticially. But, sites like http://rpm.pbone.net will show the dependancies for whichever package you are trying to download. Just download those dependancies along with the package you want to install and you should be ok.

I just don't know of an automatic way of fetching these packages other than installing Mandriva onto your office computer, and then copying over the necessary rpms from office to home.
    Thanks AlexK. im downloadin all rpms from rpm.pbone.net but even if u download all dependancies from that site, it doesn't solve the problem cuz then the dependancies will have other dependancies themselves. So its got to be an automatic method.

Another thing you could try is this. Mandriva is supposed to have a livecd/dvd of their OS (I think it was called MandrivaOne or something along those lines). Now, get a copy of this, boot into it on your work computer, then use urpmi command to download the necessary package + dependancies. Now find where urpmi stores these packages and copy them to cd/dvd or usb drive.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Another thing you could try is this. Mandriva is supposed to have a livecd/dvd of their OS (I think it was called MandrivaOne or something along those lines). Now, get a copy of this, boot into it on your work computer, then use urpmi command to download the necessary package + dependancies. Now find where urpmi stores these packages and copy them to cd/dvd or usb drive.
    Where does urpmi keep all downloaded rpms?
    i thought about what u said. pretty ingenious. so the next question is
    WHERE DOES URPMI KEEP IT'S ALREADY DOWNLOADED RPMs?

Can someone help me with this?

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi, rooot.

Let us take a step back and look at this.

Suppose I gave you a utility that did as you asked: downloaded all dependencies for package x to a directory on your work computer. Because I have no list of your home machine content, I would have to download all libraries, etc. that are in the dependency chain. That could be a big chunk of the OS each time you did this. At home, your install utility is probably smart enough not to re-install items that are happily installed, but it could still be a lot of data to pull down and carry home.

I sympathize with your situation, but unless you get past this sub-problem, I don't see a good general solution ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Quote Originally Posted by rooot
    Where does urpmi keep all downloaded rpms?
    well I don't know off hand, but you can try this:
    Download a small package e.g. firefox
    Now once download has completed, just use find to find it (obviously execute it as root)
    i.e.
    Code:
    find / -iname *firefox*.rpm
    I think package may be called something like mozilla-firefox-<version numbner>.mdk.rpm

I agree with drl in that each time, you'd be downloading a sizeable chunk of data and you'll have to try your best to make sure that Mandriva's livecd and whatever is installed to your hard drive is almost exactly the same.