Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have successfully installed Samba on an old computer with Madriva One. I am able to share files between my 4 Windows XP machines successfully and am very happy ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba FTP

Hi,
    I have successfully installed Samba on an old computer with Madriva One. I am able to share files between my 4 Windows XP machines successfully and am very happy with it. However, I was wondering if there was a way I could setup the Samba server so that I could log into it remotely (say at college with my laptop using the internet) I've read around and think that I have to setup an FTP server or something? Can Samba act as this type of server or is there another way I can access my files remotely? (and for free )

Cheers,

Linux Enthusiast
    vsftpd will do the trick or you can setup a VPN and once connected, access your Samba shares.

Just Joined!
    Cheers for that. I've found the website with that software and it looks like what I'm looking for. The only thing I wanted to ask was how do I install it on my Linux machine? I'm still very new to Linux and it doesn't seem as simple as opening an .exe like in Windows!

Could anyone give me a quick guide/tutorial as to how to install it?

Cheers

Linux Enthusiast
    One of the Mandriva users will have to chime in here, I'm not familiar with the Mandriva package manager(s). I use distros that utilize DEB and RPM packages so give it a few hours and one the Mandriva experts will render their insight.