Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all: I recently installed Mandriva 2006 on my machine (AMD 475 MHZ, 475 MB RAM). Now, I have two harddrives... an 80GB HD where linux is installed... wich is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva 2006 Runs Slow

Hello all:

I recently installed Mandriva 2006 on my machine (AMD 475 MHZ, 475 MB RAM). Now, I have two harddrives... an 80GB HD where linux is installed... wich is partitioned as follows: 55GB for the /root... 5GB for swap and 20GB for /usr.

Hard disk 2: no partitons 20GB for Windows XP.

HD1: (linux is Master) HD2: (obviously slave)

Now, the problem is: linux takes nearly 10 minutes just to boot and after that nearly 2- 5 minutes to open ANY application.
    Surprisingly, Windows Xp, runs just fine considering it's a 475 MHZ processor (but as far as I know, linux should run MUCH better than Windows regardless of processor being only a AMD (K6) 575 MHZ).

On a related topic: Internet connection is SUPER SLOW..
    I have a Motorola SB4100 USB modem (2.5 MB connection)
    I have searched all around for a usb driver for linux, but found there was NONE, however, I managed to use it with the usbnet driver from mandriva as a lan (eth0) but its too slow, openning a simple webpage (google) takes nearly 3 minutes at a 1.1 Kb conection????
    (Keep in mind im using a 2.5 MB connection... I tried testing download speed... that sucked... 200byte download speed!!!!
    Anyone knows of a driver that will work.. better, im not asking for FULL SPEED, just something BETTER than this.
    (In windows, 2.5MB connection PERFECT)
    What could be causing this? Please any comments/ suggestions?
    Thanks.

so many variables ...

Hi ... There are a lot of variables with both of your questions...

1. Is the Linux distro your using compiled for 686 ? many are ... - might cause inefficiencies or even failure for a 586 system ... You don't have to get something specifically for a 586 system - but something at or below that - 386 would be good...

2. How is the distro set up? Swap size, etc etc ...

For the modem - If you can't find help with setup on the web - you might try a USB to Ethernet converter ...Then you will get internet speed (if the hw can handle it )

For the slow linux - you might try some of the live cds like Knoppix, Vector Linux (made for older hw), etc .... see if you see a speed increase with other distros/setups
    you can try budgetlinuxcds.com (no affiliation) - Thety have most available distros and have always treated me right...

Hope some of this rambling helps -
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Just Joined!
    2006 Free is a hog. I'm on a Pentium III 866mhz w/ 384mb of ram, and it's a bit slower than I'd prefer. LE 2005 ran great on this machine.
    As for your slow internet, why aren't you using a router or, at least, an ethernet cable? Is it not supported on that particular modem? I'm on a SB5101, and average around 800kbs for download speed through my router.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by eloenlil
    Hello all:

I recently installed Mandriva 2006 on my machine (AMD 475 MHZ, 475 MB RAM). Now, I have two harddrives... an 80GB HD where linux is installed... wich is partitioned as follows: 55GB for the /root... 5GB for swap and 20GB for /usr.

Hard disk 2: no partitons 20GB for Windows XP.

HD1: (linux is Master) HD2: (obviously slave)

Now, the problem is: linux takes nearly 10 minutes just to boot and after that nearly 2- 5 minutes to open ANY application.
    Surprisingly, Windows Xp, runs just fine considering it's a 475 MHZ processor (but as far as I know, linux should run MUCH better than Windows regardless of processor being only a AMD (K6) 575 MHZ).

On a related topic: Internet connection is SUPER SLOW..
    I have a Motorola SB4100 USB modem (2.5 MB connection)
    I have searched all around for a usb driver for linux, but found there was NONE, however, I managed to use it with the usbnet driver from mandriva as a lan (eth0) but its too slow, openning a simple webpage (google) takes nearly 3 minutes at a 1.1 Kb conection????
    (Keep in mind im using a 2.5 MB connection... I tried testing download speed... that sucked... 200byte download speed!!!!
    Anyone knows of a driver that will work.. better, im not asking for FULL SPEED, just something BETTER than this.
    (In windows, 2.5MB connection PERFECT)
    What could be causing this? Please any comments/ suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Same issues in performance I was having just a few days ago. Here is the thread from the posts and replies I received. I hope it helps. I did go from a like system as what you have to my laptop that is a 3.8 ghz HT machine with 1 gig memory and like XP KDE is very happy in that environment. Good luck!

Fred