Find the answer to your Linux question:
To use ndiswrapper I have to upgrade my Free 2006 version of Mandriva to 2.6.6 Where do I find this and is it a difficult process? Thanks! Fred...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Upgrading Kernel

To use ndiswrapper I have to upgrade my Free 2006 version of Mandriva to 2.6.6 Where do I find this and is it a difficult process? Thanks!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fstemp
    To use ndiswrapper I have to upgrade my Free 2006 version of Mandriva to 2.6.6 Where do I find this and is it a difficult process?
    Mandriva 2006 comes with a 2.6.12 Linux Kernel. What makes you think you need to upgrade it?

Or are you refering to something else? What exactly do you need to upgrade?

This how-to should work nicely for NDISWRAPPER :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ork-linux.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Mandriva 2006 comes with a 2.6.12 Linux Kernel. What makes you think you need to upgrade it?

When I first tried to install ndiswrapper it told me I needed to upgraded the Kernel because the installed Kernel was 2.4 something. I did fined the newer Kernel in the install packs, I'm slow with this new operating system. Brave new world compared to Windows! lol

Anyway, I did ll the steps except for the last two, that is new documentation to me. But before when I did the make install I got ndiswrapper to install and did the command line load of the driver, everything seem to go fine, no error reported.

When I go to setup the wireless network I get the above error msg. I will try the additional instructions and see if that makes a difference. I really do appreciated your help you have made this a convincing change just by your help! Thanks!

Fred

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue

Okay, I've tried all suggestions and have even wiped my drive and started over. I still get the Error about no interface for ndiswrapper in the GUI when I try to configure a network to setup WiFi. I'm pretty much at a loss here. Can a wireless NIC card be loaded in Linux? This is a Broadcomm 802.11 b/g PCI wireless card installed in a HP Pavilion zd7260us, if this helps. Thx!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fstemp
    Can a wireless NIC card be loaded in Linux?
    Sure it can. I have a few machines here that use wireless, even one that has a Broadcom chipset as well (using NDISWRAPPER).

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i broadcom
    ?

Did you follow the how-to I sent you?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee