Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Lead me through!

Ok guys, I downloaded the Mandriva One iso and had it burn to a CD.
    Works fine.
    I put the CD into my computer and it starts up from the CD.
    When it comes to the press enter bit it just asks all my details on where I live and what keyboard I would like to use and thats it, it then starts up.
    I am just wondering now how to get to the next stage where I can use Mandriva without the CD.

Please start from the start and we can see how it goes.

Defrag your drive (if you have Windows installed), create some free space for Mandriva and off you go. (If you don't have a partitioner available, Mandriva has a very good one that can shrink Windows XP partitions in a hurry. All included in the CD).

Mandriva One has an icon on the desktop for installing it on your desktop. Use that or download the free 3-CD version and perform an installation with those CDs.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

OK, got that done (using the live install icon).
    Now it says to reboot the computer and take the disk out and start it back up again.
    Here is where I hit a problem.
    It starts up into the bios starting thing and asks me for the login and password.
    I didn't enter one during the install and I have no idea what it is mean't to be but it asks for one anyway.

Whats wrong and how do I get it to be normal?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Huh? After a reboot you should have been greeted by a configuration dialogue where you set up the password. Look there: http://linuxmint.com/content/view/149/32/1/2/

I wonder if you accidently downloaded the beta release, which had a broken installer (no passwords set!). Perhaps you should check the CD release version again and - if it is the beta - download the 3CD release, which installs in 5-15 minutes (depending on your personal package selection options).
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

I'm downloading the 3 cd free version now, another hour left or so.

Thanks for your help.

Just Joined!
    To think this is just the start of your journey...I have come a long way now....however I did not have this problem when installing.....Best advice is to install as much as possible that is there cause your gonna need it...good luck