Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a complete newbie. Please help. My computer is completely unusable! I have two hard-disks, completely empty (40GB and 300GB) and I just installed Mandriva 2006 on my hda (40GB) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation Help - Text only, GUI desktop doesn't come up

I'm a complete newbie. Please help.
    My computer is completely unusable! I have two hard-disks, completely empty (40GB and 300GB) and I just installed Mandriva 2006 on my hda (40GB) just a few minutes ago. The installation went smoothly without a glitch. I do not have any other OS (windows or any other linux distribution as of now). After the installation, when I am asked to reboot to start Mandriva up for the first time, at start-up, the GRUB graphical menu comes up... I chose the default option (not the nonfb or the failsafe) and went ahead. The light blue screen comes up which displays the message "Booting up the system, Press ESC for verbose mode", after which for some strange reason, I only see the text-based prompt where I am able to logon with root or my other ID. I am unable to get to the GUI desktop. What could be the issue?
    Some selections I made while installing Mandriva, just in case it might help in diagnosing a cause! - I selected KDE to be the default environment. And I also installed the GNOME package during package selection. I also set up GRUB with graphical menu, selecting the first option out of the 3 (first sector of MBR). I guess that would put it on hda, which is where Mandriva is now installed. I tried pressing Alt+F7 after I logged on in the text-mode, but I just see a blank screen.
    Please help! Thankfully I am currently able to get online using a Mandriva's LIVE distribution DVD.

Just Joined!
    aahhh never mind!
    found the problem myself... i hadn't configured my video card/monitor..
    life is back to normal again!

Linux Newbie

No GUI

Please add [SOLVED] to the title of your post to let others know what yoiu did to fix a problem.
    Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close