Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have just tried to install mandriva 2007 beta1, i`m new on linux`s playground. So i`m asking for you`re help please. My problem... is that when i tried to install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation uninstall mandriva, serious problems

i have just tried to install mandriva 2007 beta1, i`m new on linux`s playground. So i`m asking for you`re help please.
    My problem... is that when i tried to install it on my journal partition it all went well...but to the ending it started to give me some errors....i reboot the system (i want to tell you that i have winXP installed on the same PC) and when you restart the PC and say "Verify DMI Pool Data" down on the page it appears some weird charters(guess is asci code) and it somwehere is "boot:" ai pressed TAB key and it showed me what to start: "Linux" "NT" "Linux-nofb"...or sumthin` like that. i just want to uninstall linux if i put in a winXP CD and reboot the pc it doesent let me to boot from WinXP can i delete de partition with partition magic ? i don`t want to mess up my partitions...now when i`m inserting a mandriva CD it doesen`t see any of my partitions neighter his partition... but when is said befor that the screen with the "boot:" message apears if i write "NT" and press enter starts winXP...

oz
    forum.guy
    If I'm understanding the question properly, you are simply wanting to uninstall Mandriva. Yes, you can use Partition Magic or my preferred app, the Gparted LiveCD to delete or reformat the Linux partitions.

You'll need also need to remove LILO from the MBR. To do that, you can either boot with a Windows emergency boot disk and run: fdisk /mbr

...or

Boot with the Windows XP installation CD and from the recovery console type: fixmbr

Doing either one should restore the MBR allowing you to reboot directly into Windows.
    oz

Sorry, if this might sound harsh, what you did was a bad, bad, bad, bad move! Why did you install a beta1 release??? It is a developmental release that is ONLY for developers and experienced users that do bugfixing. It is not, I repeat, not made for newcomers to Linux. Things are expected to be pretty broken there, people are expected to know their way around to fix things by fixing config files and scripts.

If you want to use Linux, stick only to official FULL releases for now. Mandrivas latest stable release is 2006. A stable 2007 release will not be available before mid-september.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!

thanks

thanks very much....you were both right...
    but for me....as a learner...what kind of linux do you recomand me ? sumthin` simple....

hi kuddo !!!

what kind of linux do you recomand me ?
    check this link
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...e-posting.html

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kuddo
    thanks very much....you were both right...
    but for me....as a learner...what kind of linux do you recomand me ? sumthin` simple....
    The main thing is to stick with official releases and stay away from alpha and beta versions. Fedora Core, Mandriva, Suse, and Ubuntu are all considered good for new users but there are plenty of others. Check the link provided by devils_casper for more info.
    oz

Just Joined!

Question PPPoE

i have a PPPoE network....with a username and a password....i don`t know how to install this i searched on web....but nuthin`....eaven on linux websites...how do i install this ?