Find the answer to your Linux question:
Oh boy, this is going to be a long, long story !! Background: Just installed Mandrake 9.0 on my THIRD hard drive and having trouble "finding" & setting up modem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Modem/KDE Problem(s) ????

Oh boy, this is going to be a long, long story !!

Background: Just installed Mandrake 9.0 on my THIRD hard drive and having trouble "finding" & setting up modem [more on modem later].
    My desktop has a hard drive switching setup - This is 3 HD's with one common mobo and PCI cards [including modem].
    On drive #1 [Win98SE] modem is "reported" on COMM 5 [outside original 1-4]
    On drive #2 [dual boot - Win98SE & RH 8.0] Windows lists the modem on COMM 3 and I don't know where Red Hat thinks it is ??
    On drive #3 [today's problem] I just installed Mandrake 9.0, and I am having trouble setting up the internal U.S. Robotic 5610B modem.
    NOTE: The BIOS [including settings] is "common" to all three drives.

Now today's problem:
    1) When I click "Connect to Internet" icon on desktop, a KPPP window opens.
    2) I have completed the Login ID & Password.
    3) When I click the "Connect" button on the KPPP window, a "Connect to ISP" window opens.
    4) For about 3-4 seconds, a "Modem Ready" appears in the window followed by a "Sorry, modem not responding"

I WARNED THIS IS LONG -- This is the "original" problem [Mandrake can't find modem] that I intended to post here on Forum.

BUT, When I shutdown Mandrake to boot up Win98SE [so I could get on line] I got the following Mandrake warning window.

"Following installation problem was detected while trying to "start" KDE.
    No write access to Home directory /var/www - KDE unable to start."

This is way beyond my "limited" Linux knowledge -- I was "looking at" the KDE desktop while working on the "modem problem". Have no idea what "KDE unable to start" means ????

I don't even know if the modem and KDE "problems" are connected. I can use ALL THE HELP I can get !!!

Hi - Have you installed a driver for your PCI modem? I searched on Google for one, but didn't find much.

I think - at least in theory - your modem is well supported under Linux, so once you locate a suitable driver it should work. I wonder if there's one on your distro's install disk?

A driver should ship as an rpm file, which will be easier to install than something you compile from source.

I'll revisit this thread later on to see if anyone has been able to help out.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

fingal,

Thanks for response, not sure too many wanted to tackle this.

The #3 hard drive is sort of a "Linux distro testbed", have had Xandros, Libranet, SuSE and others installed with no problem. USR 5610B practically "installed itself". In some cases, was just a matter of clicking "detect modem".

I'll have to dig out the driver CD and do a little more work. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBob
    fingal,

Thanks for response, not sure too many wanted to tackle this.

The #3 hard drive is sort of a "Linux distro testbed", have had Xandros, Libranet, SuSE and others installed with no problem. USR 5610B practically "installed itself". In some cases, was just a matter of clicking "detect modem".

I'll have to dig out the driver CD and do a little more work. Thanks again.
    Hi again - You're right! Questions like this are sometimes hard to answer because there are so many variables. I don't use an internal modem myself, and a lot of experienced users will tell you: 'Yes, you might manage to get a PCI modem working, but I prefer to use an external one'.

A lot depends on having the right driver(s) to do the job, and even then ... your kernel (the core of your operating system) might not have support for your PCI card's chipset pre-compiled in.

Chipsets in cards/other hardware can change pretty fast, and so can support for drivers. The Linmodem page may be a useful resource.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso