Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've lately installed mandriva linux 2006 and I was trying again to install the new Nvidia drivers. And when tryin to install it the setup gave me the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Kernel-source installation

Hi all,

I've lately installed mandriva linux 2006 and I was trying again to install the new Nvidia drivers. And when tryin to install it the setup gave me the error that I don't have my kernel-sources installed.

So I've been lookin around for packages with the package programs given with Mandriva Linux 2006 FREE and also with urpmi.

Now my kernel is 2.6.12-12mdk.
    But when I use urpmi kernel-source ... I do NOT get my own kernel in front of me. So I'd assume that it's already installed but the NVIDIA driver installation says I do not have it installed. Also with the packagin program when lookin at the packages which are already installed I do not see the kernel-source installed.

So my kernel-source is not installed and there are no packages of it available with urpmi and the packaging program.

Anyone knows what to do or where I can find the right kernel-source 2.6.12-12mdk

Thanks!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Can you post the results of doing
    Code:
    $rpm -qa | grep -i kernel-source
    The kernel-source is definitely available, so if its not on the installation discs, go to easyurpmi and setup the main, contrib, updates and plf repos for your version of Mandriva. After that try doing "urpmi kernel-source" as root.

Just Joined!
    After entering that command I receive this:
    bash: -qa: command not found

And by removing that I dont get any results either!
    But i'm going to check out that website now.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    Can you post the results of doing
    Code:
    $rpm -qa | grep -i kernel-source
    The kernel-source is definitely available, so if its not on the installation discs, go to easyurpmi and setup the main, contrib, updates and plf repos for your version of Mandriva. After that try doing "urpmi kernel-source" as root.
    i've done the part with easyurpmi now. But when I enter urpmi kernel-source I still don't get the right kernel, but this time I do see an option which looks quite like mine but I'm not sure whether it's the correct one:

My own kernel is 2.6.12-12mdk

and on option #3 I get kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.12-12.mm.1mdk.i586.
    I'm just downloading it right now since it's also 2.6.12-12 I hope this works?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    The kernel source called have already been installed thats why I needed to see the output of the previous command. don't include the dollar sign because it just represents s shell prompt. To see what kernel and kernel source you have, do
    Code:
    $rpm -qa | grep -i kernel

Just Joined!
    u have to have the Mandriva 2006 DVD. Follow these steps
    1 Open konsole
    2 Type su and switch to root
    3 Type rpmdrake
    4 Search and install the rpm called dkms-nvidia
    5 Type XFdrake
    6 Choose ur NVidia vga card driver and resolution (i have the NVidia GForce 6600 vga. Though the drivers for that were not there in XFdrake, it had the GForce 6800 driver and it worked.)
    7 Now restart X Server as follows
    8 Type init 3
    9 login as root
    10 Type init 5
    11 Enjoy! Now dont forget to smile!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    The kernel source called have already been installed thats why I needed to see the output of the previous command. don't include the dollar sign because it just represents s shell prompt. To see what kernel and kernel source you have, do
    Code:
    $rpm -qa | grep -i kernel
    this is the result:

kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.12-12mm.1mdk
    kernel-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk

Just Joined!
    my problem is fixed now,

somehow when I was logged in as root and checked out the package manager again this time the kernel-source did appear in the list and i've succesfully installed it.

Thanks all for your replies (K)