Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wanted to upgrade to a flavor of nix that will be supported without $$$. Unlike Red Hat, who is now FEDORA... I upgraded my HP Pavilion N5445 Laptop from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Install from 9.x to Mandriva 2006 'FREE'

I wanted to upgrade to a flavor of nix that will be supported without $$$.
    Unlike Red Hat, who is now FEDORA... I upgraded my HP Pavilion N5445 Laptop from 9.x Mandrake to Mandriva 2006 Free.
    Now the laptop has become a paper weight, it just sits there.
    I ran some of the examples provided on other posts and it still sits there. the fan works if that helps.

Any ideas where to go next?
    Messages I do see are:

while booting into failsafe;
    the last item I see on screen before the lock up is:
    apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)

~Thank You in advance for your help.

Sounds like a BIOS problem relating to ACPI or APM - perhaps. Have a read of this thread. There are a lot of similar threads on these forums.

You upgraded from 9.* to 2006? Personally I wouldn't do that. By the time a distro has moved on that many versions it's radically different. It would be better to backup your existing data, delete the old partitions and start with a fresh install imho. That might be the root of your problem.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Thank You

Fingal, Thanks for the advice, I will try again tomorrow... I think I removed the partitions. The problem I am having is wht three different Liunx Distro's I think you nailed it on the head with the BIOS being the problem. I Think I will contact HP tomorrow to see if there is something else I can try. I have tried BSD 6.1, Fedora Core 5 and Mandriva 2006 and unable to even get a graphical interface, yes I tried text install, worked but then NO gui. So... I will try with the BIOS and go from there, any good version of Linux I have not already tried?

Thanks Again!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by datachief69
    Fingal, Thanks for the advice, I will try again tomorrow... I think I removed the partitions. The problem I am having is wht three different Liunx Distro's I think you nailed it on the head with the BIOS being the problem. I Think I will contact HP tomorrow to see if there is something else I can try. I have tried BSD 6.1, Fedora Core 5 and Mandriva 2006 and unable to even get a graphical interface, yes I tried text install, worked but then NO gui. So... I will try with the BIOS and go from there, any good version of Linux I have not already tried?

Thanks Again!
    I couldnt get mandriva to boot until I shut off the extended bios on my thinkpad....it was a bios configuration program that included power management, diagnostics, and format abilities. Perhaps try that if the previous answer didnt work