Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by halo200 If I decide to do a freshinstall, is it possible to keep my home directory because it's on a separate partion. And if one of my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by halo200
    If I decide to do a freshinstall, is it possible to keep my home directory because it's on a separate partion. And if one of my programs is a higher version than on Mandriva 2006 will it downgrade to the version on the disk or keep it as is?
    In general an upgrade will just overwrite existing software in your root partition. As Casper said ... it will 'upgrade' packages (but ignore /home if this is on a separate partition). It's been a couple of years since I reinstalled Mandriva from scratch, but that should overwrite everything. I don't think you can rely on keeping existing data with a fresh install as I think all your partitions would be wiped. It's safer to upgrade! That's really the whole point of that option - it's less severe in my view.

Not sure about the version question: I hadn't thought of it before! Personally I don't know how Mandriva decides to upgrade, but I think it would downgrade the package. I've tried to manually downgrade a package before now, but this isn't a skill I have. Sometimes reverting to an earlier package is a good option though. This is my way of saying 'I haven't a clue'!!

You need to ask yourself how much value would you get from upgrading or reinstalling. Are you just curious about using Mandriva 2006? How happy are you with what you already have? If you install all the bug fixes and security fixes for your existing distro that might be enough.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Fresh

My distro has some bugs in it causing me to have to restart X every time I use a usb device to be able to open konqueror again and more recently a program has stopped working making me un-able to print so I will just back up all my stuff onto another computer or store it away from my computer and do a fresh install and get everything working again!

My distro has some bugs in it causing me to have to restart X every time I use a usb device to be able to open konqueror again and more recently a program has stopped working making me un-able to print so I will just back up all my stuff onto another computer or store it away from my computer and do a fresh install and get everything working again!
    Hi - That's interesting! I vaguely remember a bug which would cause that version to go haywire when using a USB device. Would you mind trying something a bit different? Open a terminal and type the following:

Then - assuming things go a bit wrong - can you copy and paste the output from top in here? I'm not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think there might be a fix for that bug without you having to do a full reinstall. If I'm correct a certain process will kick in and use most of your CPU resources.

It's just a wild idea I have.

PS: An upgrade or reinstall will solve the USB problem at the very least.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

typing top in a terminal just shows all the processes that are running and it does not let me copy and paste it after i highlight it a second later it un highlights itself

typing top in a terminal just shows all the processes that are running and it does not let me copy and paste it after i highlight it a second later it un highlights itself
    Ah! No worries then mate. It was a known bug in that distro which was later fixed. I used to have a small script which would kill the offending process, then restart it whenever it started to take over. Actually, it's a serious bug which can completely take over your system. Mandriva is a bit prone to those, but fortunately 2006 has fewer issues.

The version of Xorg in 2006 (6.9cvs) may contain some bugs, but these aren't likely to be noticeable to you. Mandriva has always had a reputation for using more 'bleeding edge' software than other distros.

If you look at top output when you plug in a USB device, the bug should show itself. The processes listed under CPU% are the ones to look out for. A runaway process will use 60%+ of your CPU% .

Just Joined!
    Fingal is right. since it is halfway through 2006 the best option and the safest in my opinion is for u to wait till Mandriva 2007 stable is released and do a fresh install. u can always backup ur existing root partition by using norton ghost (non oss) or partimage. u can install partimage if u have the mandriva 2006 official cd. But since u cant backup the root fs from within the OS because rule: u cant backup the partition that u r running partimage from, i suggest that u use knoppix which has partimage to backup ur files.

I firmly believe no matter what people tell u, till u try it for urself u wont be satisfied cuz it depends on a lot of things.

So my solution to u:
    1. Backup ur / partition using knoppix + partimage Live CD and store it somewhere safe.
    2. Upgrade to Mandriva 2006 not install
    3. See for urself how it is.
    4. If u have problems, format / partition and install a fresh copy of Mandriva 2006
    5. If u still have problems restore ur old OS from the partimage backup tarball and wait for Mandriva 2007 stable.

This way u got nothin to loose.

Just Joined!

Best solution

Fingal is right. since it is halfway through 2006 the best option and the safest in my opinion is for u to wait till Mandriva 2007 stable is released and do a fresh install. u can always backup ur existing root partition by using norton ghost (non oss) or partimage. u can install partimage if u have the mandriva 2006 official cd. But since u cant backup the root fs from within the OS because rule: u cant backup the partition that u r running partimage from, i suggest that u use knoppix which has partimage to backup ur files.

I firmly believe no matter what people tell u, till u try it for urself u wont be satisfied cuz it depends on a lot of things.

So my solution to u:
    1. Backup ur / partition using knoppix + partimage Live CD and store it somewhere safe.
    2. Upgrade to Mandriva 2006 not install
    3. See for urself how it is.
    4. If u have problems, format / partition and install a fresh copy of Mandriva 2006
    5. If u still have problems restore ur old OS from the partimage backup tarball and wait for Mandriva 2007 stable.

This way u got nothin to loose.

Just Joined!

Question Did a fresh install

I decided to just do a straight fresh install, I backed up all my files onto another computer on my network and I sucessfully installed 2006, but it boots very very slowly, even slower than when I was using Mandrake 10.1, is this normal? I have a 1Ghz laptop with 256mb Ram 30Gb hard disk, if I upgrade my ram will this fix the problem?

Just Joined!
    wise choice. well u say its slow how slow? put some numbers into it. In my experience, Mandriva 2006 is super fast when it comes to booting. My configured (multimedia and everything) version boots faster than a clean installation of Suse and of course faster than windows. when bootin in the splash press Esc, go to verbose mode and see whether their is any error causing a delay when u boot. Gimme some numbers next time.

Of course upgrading ur RAM will make it faster but better to make sure that's the reason before u go and spend money on a new one

Just Joined!
    It takes about 4 mins from boot to login screen and from login screen to kde desktop it takes about 1:30 mins and it takes about 2:30mins to shutdown. When I installed mandriva it gave me the option of copying all the cd's onto the hard drive for installation, because my laptop's cd drive doesn't work I use an external so I chose this for convieneince so if it needs a package or something I don't need to put the cd in so could this be slowing down the boot? It was installed on hda6 which was a 5gb partion and now has just under 1gb of space left.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast