Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have a Mandriva 2006 on order and I am currently running Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official, should I do a full install and wipe my hard drive or do a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Install or Upgrade

I have a Mandriva 2006 on order and I am currently running Mandrake Linux 10.1 Official, should I do a full install and wipe my hard drive or do a upgrade?

Hello - Upgrade! As a rule of thumb, only reinstall when you're more than 2 versions ahead with your new distro.

Edit: Don't necessarily expect your upgrade to be problem free. The overall system will be fine, but you might find at least one application that goes wrong. When you upgrade you can find a few beta versions on your system.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Program Upgrade

When I do an upgrade, will I get all the new programs on the latest version that I don't have installed on my current OS? and will it upgrade all my current programs like amarok, kontact kaffiene and so on?

hi halo200 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by halo200
    When I do an upgrade, will I get all the new programs on the latest version that I don't have installed on my current OS? and will it upgrade all my current programs like amarok, kontact kaffiene and so on?
    yeah !! this is what upgrade means....
    it will upgrade everything... during upgrade, you will get an option to install new packages... you can install those later too....

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    I always prefer fresh installs over upgrades, but that's just me.
    oz

Just Joined!

Problems

What kind of problems can occur if I do an upgrade?

hi halo200 !!

upgrade is time consuming.. take about double or tripple time than fresh install....
    and fingal already wrote...... "Don't necessarily expect your upgrade to be problem free. The overall system will be fine, but you might find at least one application that goes wrong. When you upgrade you can find a few beta versions on your system."

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Speed

Is there any speed variations after installation what would make my system slower?

Quote Originally Posted by halo200
    Is there any speed variations after installation what would make my system slower?
    Not really - 2006 is a fast distro when it boots up. It depends on what you're doing with your system though.

From my own experience, if you have 3D graphics drivers which are working well on a current installation an upgrade will sometimes break these, forcing you to reinstall the drivers. That doesn't mean that your overall system is slower. It just means that one set of tools isn't compatible with another. I would be less worried about this if I used an NVidia graphics card, but I have an ATI which probably needs replacing soon!

Usually problems are caused by installing proprietary software - the code isn't open source - but many people do this to get games working at a reasonable speed.

None of this should put you off upgrading if you want to do it. Personally I 'just do it', but a word of caution. I suggest you only upgrade if you have your /home directory on a separate partition. It's easy to lose files/work/your personal data otherwise. If you aren't set up this way, you might want to think about copying all your essential files and starting from scratch. Always have /home on a separate partition: your life will be easier.

Personally, if I was doing a fresh install I would wait for Mandriva 2007 final release (not the beta version). I might even do this, but who knows? There are so many different things to try out these days.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Keep Home Partion

If I decide to do a freshinstall, is it possible to keep my home directory because it's on a separate partion. And if one of my programs is a higher version than on Mandriva 2006 will it downgrade to the version on the disk or keep it as is?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast