Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've read and installed everything in the Windows Media player sticky post in the top of the forum and WMA files still won't play on my computer. Kaffiene, Amarok, Mplayer, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WMA won't play

I've read and installed everything in the Windows Media player sticky post in the top of the forum and WMA files still won't play on my computer. Kaffiene, Amarok, Mplayer, even the VLC on linux won't play them. Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Did you install the win32codecs package?

Is this 64bit or 32 version of mandriva?

Just Joined!
    I've installed the win32-codecs and, I'm running the newest version of Mandriva, downloaded about 2 weeks ago.So, I'm going to assume that it's the 64 bit version but, I don't know.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I had the same problem with Kaffeine also. But after i installed win32 codecs and configured xine im able to play anything. u have to set the win32 codec path in xine options to get it workin after u installed win32 codecs. i can play wma + wmv using xine and even xmms. But i still have problems with kaffeine. Dunno why cuz xine and Kaffeine use the same xine engine.

I seem to remember it depends on which directory you copy the codecs into. I can't be more specific because I'm not on a Linux box atm. I think Kaffeine only looks for them in one place. Personally I use Kplayer and Totem. Kplayer - with the codecs - can handle most Windows formats.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Unhappy

I tried to open the WMA's through Xine and no luck. I followed the instructions in the sticky at the top exactly as they were and I was hoping that would do it. Is there a way to uninstall everything and try to reinstall it? or, is there some link I havn't made or some more codecs that I need to get and install, because everything I've got SHOULD work as is. Thanks for helping, ya'll.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreg
    I tried to open the WMA's through Xine and no luck. I followed the instructions in the sticky at the top exactly as they were and I was hoping that would do it. Is there a way to uninstall everything and try to reinstall it? or, is there some link I havn't made or some more codecs that I need to get and install, because everything I've got SHOULD work as is. Thanks for helping, ya'll.
    I can play WMAs using Xine. I think it's because I did something rather inelegant on my system: I have the codecs in both these directories:

/usr/lib/codecs/win32
    /usr/lib/win32

Not sure why I did it like that, but it works for me. Really you're supposed to use the ln command to create links between directories, but I didn't.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    I can play WMAs using Xine. I think it's because I did something rather inelegant on my system: I have the codecs in both these directories:

/usr/lib/codecs/win32
    /usr/lib/win32

Not sure why I did it like that, but it works for me. Really you're supposed to use the ln command to create links between directories, but I didn't.

I've got them in the /usr/lib/win32 folder, but don't even have a /usr/lib/codecs/ folder. Would creating one help? Or is there a way to tell my players, Amarok in particular, to look in the /usr/lib/win32 folder for the ability to play WMA files?