Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been very interested in Linux for quite some time... after some research i decided Mandriva was my best bet... Everything is going great so far, except some troubles with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Annoying Problems with Mandriva 2006...

I've been very interested in Linux for quite some time... after some research i decided Mandriva was my best bet... Everything is going great so far, except some troubles with my mouse and keyboard... i have a HP Pavilion zv6131us with Mandriva Linux 2006 (i586)...

First of all my keyboard repeat settings are messed up i'm guessing because a lot of times forms get filled with two to ten extra characters when i'm just typing normally... very annoying and i can't find where to edit that setting... it is not available under harddrake...

Secondly, my synaptics pointing device is acting quirky too... i cannot double click to navigate through dialog boxes that display the filesystem and the cursor moves sporadically...

Third, my firefox keeps going back automatically and quite often and gets really frustrating...

I've also recently noticed that when typing the cursor moves randomly and paste text from the clipboard...

And lastly my clock seems to be moving at like double speed and it won't let me sync with any of the servers...

Thank you to anyone who can help me out... I'm losing faith in linux fast and i need some assurance that this is not a hopeless endeavor... thank you all so much...

From what I read, I get the impression that all of your problems are caused by either a quirky mouse or a problem by detecting the stuff properly which might be BIOS-setting related. What kind of keyboard and mouse do you use? PS2 or USB? Are they directly connected to the box or is some device in-between (e.g. extra-cables)? Also: have you patched your box already? (check http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/?language=en and update your box)
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Hi
    A similar problem?
    I'm a newbie to Linux and have been experimenting with various types whilst running XP.
    I have a spare 20gig harddrive for Linux and also used Live cd's. I have had no display problems until now.
    I have just installed Mandriva (latest free download). It semed to be the most succesful to date except...
    I get my boot option screen OK, then select Linux to boot. Once it has booted my display is what appears to be corrupted pictures/text - can make nothing out.
    Monitor is a 17 I.T. Works. Graphics card is
    Video System >
    Monitor/Panel: Plug and Play Monitor
    Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Sony)
    Other info
    < Processor >
    Model: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2800+
    Speed: 2.13GHz
    Model Number: 2800 (estimated)
    Performance Rating: PR3086 (estimated)
    Cores per Processor: 1 Unit(s)
    Threads per Core: 1 Unit(s)
    Internal Data Cache: 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64
    byte line size
    L2 On-board Cache: 512kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set,
    64 byte line size

< Mainboard >
    Bus(es): AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
    MP Support: No
    MP APIC: Yes
    System BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ACPI BIOS Revision 1003
    System: Sony Corporation PCV-RS222(CE)
    Mainboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N266VX
    Total Memory: 512MB DDR-SDRAM

< Chipset 1 >
    Model: Nvidia Corp nForce AGP Controller
    Front Side Bus Speed: 2x 133MHz (266MHz data rate)
    Total Memory: 512MB DDR-SDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed: 2x 133MHz (266MHz data rate)
    (As gleaned from SANDRA)

Any ideas please?
    Many thanks
    Tony W

Just Joined!

Question

Thank you for replying... my computer is actually a laptop, so the keyboard is built in, and well as the "mouse"... i have a feeling their problems are driver based because they're not standard peripherals... what is that link you sent me to? i followed the instructiions and ran the command but it didn't fix any issues... any other ideas on what i can do? thanks again for your help