Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just loaded mandriva linux on my medion and i have no way to access my western digital 250gb external!! (it is really an internal on a niffty external mount... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question external harddrive problems

i just loaded mandriva linux on my medion and i have no way to access my western digital 250gb external!! (it is really an internal on a niffty external mount... but..) i NEED the files on it and when i plug it in it creates a desktop icon and when i click on it it says i don;t have the permissions to access it and when i go to properties it says that it is unreadable.. everything on there is stuff from when i had windows for work and school.. every other forum i read says i have to reformat it but i need everything on there!!! what do i really have to do to get to it!! then i tried to plug it in as an internal and when i did that my system read it as sda.. but when i went to the window where you can make partitions it read it as all windows and it wouldn;t let me do **** with it! then when i disconnected it it now reads my operating system harddrive as sda... plz plz help me!!

Linux Engineer
    ok...

1) Plug in the drive and get the icon on the desktop
    2) open a terminal window and make sure that you have a mount point created, for example for this you could use /media/usb. If its not created then "mkdir /media/usb"
    3) sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb
    4) drive should be mounted, and your desktop link to it will be also, when you are finished using the drive, unmount it from the terminal like so "sudo umount /dev/sda1", make sure that you are not in /media/usb when you try this.

Just Joined!

i tried and this is what happend

i tried.. and this is what i got! and it is mounted but i don't know how to create a mount point, i guess....

"psycospaz@localhost Desktop]$ mkdir /media/usb
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/usb': No such file or directory
    [psycospaz@localhost Desktop]$ sudo mount /dev/sda1/media/usb
    psycospaz is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
    [psycospaz@localhost Desktop]$ sendmail: warning: My hostname localhost is not a fully qualified name - set myhostname or mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf
    postdrop: warning: My hostname localhost is not a fully qualified name - set myhostname or mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf
    [psycospaz@localhost Desktop]$ mkdir /media/usb
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/usb': No such file or directory
    [psycospaz@localhost Desktop]$ mkdir /usb
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/usb': Permission denied
    [psycospaz@localhost Desktop]$ media/usb
    bash: media/usb: No such file or directory
    [psycospaz@localhost Desktop]$ /etc/postfix/main.cf
    bash: /etc/postfix/main.cf: Permission denied
    [psycospaz@localhost Desktop]$"

why would it tell me permission denied??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    becom the super user n try 2 make the dir...this`ll work i gess
    only super user can gain access 2 sys in linux...
    $su
    password

u'll definitely get it....