Find the answer to your Linux question:
My friend has a wireless entwork set up in his room. In the begining I set up a new connection to it, and had no issues at all. Recently, however, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WPA Encryption Error

My friend has a wireless entwork set up in his room. In the begining I set up a new connection to it, and had no issues at all. Recently, however, it just stopped working. After some tinkering with it, I realized the encoding on my configuration had changed, while the encoding of his wireless transmitter hadn't. I've gone into the config area and it wants to set it to a "WEP" instead of a "WPA" like I need it to. Now, it's not the card's fault, he adjusted his encryption to WEP for a minute with a new password, and it connected just fine. I've gone in and tried to make a new connection with everything set up and, since I've set up that specific connection so many times, it's got the name and encryption already there. It's got "Network name: MYNETWORK" and the WPA encryption set as well as the password. I keep going into the configuration of the wireless networks that my card detects, and I set it to WPA, hit apply, and close it, and it's still shows up as WEP encryption. As far as asking him to change his encryption on a more permanant basis, that's not an option. Also, I'm still able to hard wire into the ethernet so, that's not a bother. So, is there any way to reinitialize the ability to have my wireless card recieve WPA encoding, or do I have to reformat my machine oand start over?

Could you give us more details ?

Which version of Mandriva are you using ?
    What is your wireless card model ?
    Which driver (and which version of it) do you use ?
    What program (wireless connections manager) do you use to connect ?

Is that a laptop ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Which version of Mandriva are you using ?
    What is your wireless card model ?
    Which driver (and which version of it) do you use ?
    What program (wireless connections manager) do you use to connect ?

Alrighty! well, I'm on a laptop, first off, Dell Inspiron 5100. I'm using the latest version of Mandriva i586, I think is the actual version number. I've got a belkin wireless card and using the most up to date version of that. Ok, funny new twist (not so much 'funny ha-ha' as 'funny stab-someone-in-the-forehead-repeatedly') My friend has a totally different laptop, with a totally different wireless card and, initially, he didn't have any problems with the WPA encoding, but he's now in the same boat as me. So, is it possible the new release of Mandriva won't allow you to encode your wireless card in WPA format? or have we both done something to our kernels or wireless configurations?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Perhaps you can check the router then : make sure it uses latest firmware version.

Also, what is your wireless card on that laptop ? ipw2200 ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by antidrugue
    Perhaps you can check the router then : make sure it uses latest firmware version.

Also, what is your wireless card on that laptop ? ipw2200 ?
    Let's see here, Belkin, 2.4GHz, 802.11g, F507010. I doubt it's wither the router or the cards, though, because Mandriva won't allow me to fix the configuration. I originally had it set to a WPA encryption, but Mandriva reset it to WEP, and won't let it go back. I'll double check the router, though.

Just Joined!
    One more, funny stab-you thing that's happened. Initially, The indicator bars for the signal strength worked on my laptop, but then, when this all started, they just stopped functioning correctly. All saying that there's no signal strength. Any ideas on this one? are the two problems even realted?