Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was able to run mandriva one off the live cd, but when I try to use the live install it gave me an error. It said it couldn't install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with live installation

I was able to run mandriva one off the live cd, but when I try to use the live install it gave me an error. It said it couldn't install because there isn't room. My hardrive have only 1 partition with 80 or more gig of free space.

hi !

only one partition... ??? is there any other OS in your machine ??
    boot up through CD again and post the ouput of these commands......

$ fdisk -l
    $ df -H

.... casper ....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

df -H returned this:
    Filesystem
    None

Size
    951Mb

Used
    691Mb

Avil
    261Mb

Used
    73%

Mounted on
    /
    However I couldn't get fdisk to work in the console, it said bash didn't recongize it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Fdisk doesn't work because you didn't login with "su -".
    You don't have any partitions, you just have unformated space.

Hi !!!

use fdisk command to create partitions.... if you are not familiar with fdisk then try GParted.... its linux based partitioner having Graphical interface....
    download .iso image (LiveCd) from this link, burn it to CD, boot up with it and create partitions........

.... casper ....

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    Hi !!!

use fdisk command to create partitions.... if you are not familiar with fdisk then try GParted.... its linux based partitioner having Graphical interface....
    download .iso image (LiveCd) from this link, burn it to CD, boot up with it and create partitions........

.... casper ....
    I tried using GParted and made two more partitions after my primary windows partition. I created a swap partition and another primary one, but when I tried installing it again it still says it can't find any room

Hi !!

first partiton, primary window.... delete all other partitions.... select whole unpartitioned space and create an extended partition....
    now you have only two partitions, first windows parimary and second extended ( very BIG )

boot up windows...... control center --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management ---> disk management
    create new partitions IN Extended partition as LOGICAL Partitions....

i suggest you to create a FAT32 partition too..... you have 80 GB disk and you can use this FAT32 partition to share data between Mandriva and Windows......
    in this extended partition, create a logical partition and format it as FAt32.....
    leave rest as upartitioned...... dont create SWAP or anything... Mandriva Installer will take care of that....

Install Mandrive and select "unpartitioned/free space" for install.....

.... casper ....

Just Joined!
    Hi !!

first partiton, primary window.... delete all other partitions.... select whole unpartitioned space and create an extended partition....
    now you have only two partitions, first windows parimary and second extended ( very BIG )

boot up windows...... control center --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management ---> disk management
    create new partitions IN Extended partition as LOGICAL Partitions....

i suggest you to create a FAT32 partition too..... you have 80 GB disk and you can use this FAT32 partition to share data between Mandriva and Windows......
    in this extended partition, create a logical partition and format it as FAt32.....
    leave rest as upartitioned...... dont create SWAP or anything... Mandriva Installer will take care of that....

Install Mandrive and select "unpartitioned/free space" for install.....

.... casper ....
    I tried doing what you said, but I'm unsure whether its correct, here is my disk layout;

Mandriva one still says it can't find any room

Hi !!

disk layout is correct now but i think free space is not much for Mandriva... delete G: partition and try again. if Mandriva fails again ( i beleive, it wont fail now ).... boot up through Mandriva CD and post the output of

$ fdisk -l

let see why Mandriva can't find a room.... fdisk will show all the partitions recognized by Mandriva.......

.... casper ....

Just Joined!
    Hi !!

disk layout is correct now but i think free space is not much for Mandriva... delete G: partition and try again. if Mandriva fails again ( i beleive, it wont fail now ).... boot up through Mandriva CD and post the output of

$ fdisk -l

let see why Mandriva can't find a room.... fdisk will show all the partitions recognized by Mandriva.......

.... casper ....

I deleted G:, but mandriva still says "I cannot find any room to install"

the ouput of fdisk -l was blank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast