Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was performing a clean install of Mandriva 2007 RC-Mona today, and realized that I didn't create enough space for all of the packages I wanted. So I did a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow "Operating System not Found" error with previously working Mandriva install DVD

I was performing a clean install of Mandriva 2007 RC-Mona today, and realized that I didn't create enough space for all of the packages I wanted. So I did a hard reset of the laptop, and after that, every time I try to boot to the DVD, I get an "Operating System not found" error and nothing else. I have done a DOD level disk kill using Darik's Boot and Nuke, and it still does the same thing.

Does anyone know what I'm missing here? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Hello - At what point do you get that error message? I mean can you boot from the DVD or does it happen during installation to your hdd?

If you have a copy of Knoppix (or any other 'live' distro) can you boot that from your DVD? If so, try mounting your hdd from the live disk and see if - by some chance - there are any files left lying around. This seems unlikely, but I would check anyway.

Is the surface of the DVD clean? Just an idea.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Error

I have ensured that it's bootable (I booted with it once already on the same computer), and I have ensured that the disc surface is in pristine condition (I thought of that too...lol). The peculiar thing is that it won't boot with that DVD now that I halted an instqallation on it. I have formatted the drive to FAT32, I have done a lowlevel format, I have recreated the MBR...it's very peculiar.

I *want* the Free version, but I am running the One version now (from a live install) because I was able to boot to that. However, some of the options are not installed with this pared down live version, so I would really like to figure this one out.

Any additional suggestions? I am stumped on this one. I have seen this error message before, but it always disappeared after a format.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just a tip: Mandriva ONE is actually the smaller, patched cousin of Mandriva 2006. Set up software mirrors for Mandriva 2006 with easyurpmi and grab everything you want/need with the MCC or through the command line with urpmi.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    ok, thanks. I'll have to try that when I get home.

So will I need to install Mandriva 2006, or can I add those options into Mandriva One using the Mandriva 2006 packages? I was under the impression that they were permanently disabled in the Live Install. I am currently burning a new copy of Mandriva Free DVD to see if perhaps my DVD isn't completely functional. If that is the case, will I have all of the components that I am missing, or will I have to install the 2006 components anyway into Free?

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Mandriva One, Mandriva 2006 and Mandriva free are the same distro, just different flavours. One = live-CD version = same as 2006, 2006 = paid for version, Free = same as 2006 but without proprietary drivers and apps. Everything that is available for 2006 is available for the other ones too. They use the same packages, the same online software mirrors. Which one you install is not of any importance.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, Kojak! I haven't used Linux in a few years, so I'm a bit out of the loop. Thanks again for the explanation. I am going to stay with Mandriva One and just install the other packages that I want to use.

You mentioned that you've formatted your drive to FAT32, so I suppose this means you're dual booting? Just curious about that. Not sure that a low level format is the best option either ... You risk removing essential 'low level' data from the hdd which was set in the factory. Or so I believe.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    yes, I am sharing files on a fat32 drive.