Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old computer (Dell L400c) and an old copy of Mandrake 7.2. I want to update the kernel so I downloaded 2.6.0. I get to either the 'make' ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

old mandrake 7.2 problem

I have an old computer (Dell L400c) and an old copy of Mandrake 7.2. I want to update the kernel so I downloaded 2.6.0. I get to either the 'make' or 'make clean' commands and I get an error. It says 'invalid character 46 in exportstr for AFLAGS_vmlinux.lds.o'. Does this mean my compiler or linker is bad or too old? Does this mean I set something wrong in 'make menuconfig'?

Just Joined!

old mandrake 7.2 problem

Well, thinking about it, I probably have more problems working with a really old distribution than just this one, and an old computer on top of it, so maybe no-one can help me, but if anyone knows what this error means, I'd still like to know...

Yes - I think the age of the distro could well be a factor. If I were you I would think about a more up-to-date version of Mandriva. Why not wait for Mandriva 2007 and install it on something a bit more 'up-spec.'? I've heard good reports of the new distro, and once it's out of the beta phase it should be worth checking out.

You could always try booting a live CD/DVD like Knoppix or Slax and see if that runs okay, or get hold of Damn Small Linux. There's always an answer, but finding it takes a little time.

Also ... please read this (if you like).
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close