Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I'm going to start this off by saying I'm a newbie to linux. That said, I installed Mandriva 2006 on my pc. I have one drive with two partitions. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva 2006 hangs on Boot

Hello,

I'm going to start this off by saying I'm a newbie to linux.

That said, I installed Mandriva 2006 on my pc. I have one drive with two partitions. First is Windows XP which is in debate whether I'm going to keep it or not, and the second is Mandriva 2006.

The installation runs smoothly. I have a 5GB Swap partition because I keep reading that 2 to 3 times your memory is what is recommended. I have 1 GB of Ram and thought 5 would be a good rounded number for now. The rest of the drive is a simple "/" partition of an approximate 49GB size.

Mandriva reboots and LILO works fine. But the system seems to hang right after mounting the SWAP Partition is "OK"

Any suggestions?

Hello - That's a lot of Swap space ... Personally I would use less, but that's not what's hanging up your system.

Please provide a list of your current hardware, especially your video card. As a basic rule of thumb video cards can cause a lot of problems until you get the settings right.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

swap rule of thumb:
    RAM is 1 GB and less = 2x RAM size for swap
    RAM is more than 1GB = 1x RAM size
    RAM is more than 4 GB = 1/2x RAM size
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    swap rule of thumb:
    RAM is 1 GB and less = 2x RAM size for swap
    RAM is more than 1GB = 1x RAM size
    RAM is more than 4 GB = 1/2x RAM size
    Thanks! Can I resize the swap partition after my system boots?

As for Hardware.

Its an Asus Motherboard with an AMD Athalon of I believe 1.5Ghz.
    1gb or Ram
    ATI All-in-wonder 9800
    120gb HD that is S-ATA capable of running RAID but it is not.
    Onboard Nvidia sound card and ethernet card
    Onboard Gigabit Ethernet card <-- Router for internet is hooked up through here.

DVD RW and a CD RW.
    I think that sums it all up.

I thought it may have been the video card, which Linux likes to run as a Radeon I believe, but when I click on 'test' the card seems to work.

Any more thoughts or ideas?

It's hard to say what's wrong, but I would try setting the video card to something very basic - like VESA - to start with, or try different drivers ... Especially anything which matches your card exactly.

If you can get into the Mandriva Control Centre ('Configure your computer') and change settings there that's fine. I can't see your motherboard or memory being much of a problem ... ATI cards are a common source of trouble, so I would concentrate on that to start with.

Disk drake won't let you resize mounted partitions, so that might be one for later. I generally have a Knoppix disk handy. Boot from that and start QTParted as root ... It lets you alter partitions.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

automount

hi i want to write my own code for automount of cdrom(which mandriva provides) can any one help in the procedure for this approach

Just Joined!
    Okay, So I'll try the VESA driver and I'll adjust the partition sizes. Is there any way that I can put in a command prompt to have it boot with a default driver? I hate to bring an example back to Microsoft, but under Windows they have a generic VGA driver. Its not pretty but it works to boot the computer.

I have downloade a file from ATI that is suppose to cover all video cards including mine. But I have it on a separate disk, and from what I remember, the Mandriva loader doesn't have an "browse" or "have disk" selection when it comes to video drivers.

Thanks for your help guys, it is much appreciated.

Just Joined!

Mandriva Headache

Okay guys,

I did a re-install of Mandriva 2006. This time I did a swap partition at 1GB. Then a / partition at 10GB then a /usr partition at 20GB and finally a /var partition at 20GB.

Then I set my video card to VESA at 1284X1024, tested it in the installation menu and it worked.

Reboot and same problem.

Now in the summary screen I get 2 red flags, one is video card, other is network card. My PC has 2. One is 100 bit and the other is 1000 bit. My router is connected to the Gigabit 1000 bit card. Could that be the problem?

How do I get into the "command centre" from boot? If I press 'esc' at LILO it only lets me load 3 different vers. of Linux or Windows.

I also tried playing with BIOS settings and got the same conclusion.

Any ideas?

Running out of ideas! Try setting the video resolution a bit lower to 1024x768. Which BIOS settings did you try? ACPI settings (power management) can sometimes cause trouble. Trying acpi=off/acpi=on options can sometimes help, but my gut feeling is that this won't make much difference here.

I've never tried accessing the Mandriva control centre from outside the GUI environment. Not sure if this can be done, but if it could it would mean booting Mandriva into a terminal to start with.

Not sure about the network card issue. I would put that to one side for the time being. This is almost certainly a hardware compatibility problem.

I guess it is because of the ATI and the unstable Xorg 6.9cvs included in the default media. Try the following:

Disable Plug 'n Play in BIOS (if it has that feature)
    Boot with one of the following paramenters

linux noapic
    linux nolapic
    linux noapic nolapic

If that does not help, boot in rescue mode and launch the Mandriva Control Centers gfx setup tool from the terminal as root, typing "XFdrake" and use a basic vesa mode. (the whole control center can be launched by typing "mcc" as root). Then use the terminal to set up software mirrors for easyurpmi
    Code:
    urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/mandrake/o.../main_updates/ with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/mandrake/o...586/media/main with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/mandrake/o.../media/contrib with media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz
    Once these are added, update the X package.

urpmi Xorg (or "urpmi --auto-select" for a complete system upgrade)

After that, try to set up graphics again and test the setting with the "startx" command.

Good luck.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast