Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need help My internet provider gives me only 2 IP, if I connect the 3 PC he kicks off the first one forever, so I decied to make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help, ethernet!

Hi, I need help

My internet provider gives me only 2 IP, if I connect the 3 PC he kicks off the first one forever, so I decied to make a computer as a server with two ethernet cards, one to internet other to my home ethernet,
    How good machine do I need for a server, and how to do this. I heard that it is posible!

tnx alot

Just Joined!
    thanks ,
    I think it will help me, there is alot of information about that
    now I just have to set up

Just Joined!
    Can't you just use a router? The router will assign your computers IP address and mask them as one single IP to your Provider. I have 3 computers on my single DSL connection.

Just Joined!
    I am using a router, but when I connect the 3'rd computer, then other isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by maetkh
    I am using a router, but when I connect the 3'rd computer, then other isn't working.
    Are you sure this is a router ? Or a hub perhaps ? A router normally issues private IPs to the computers on the network, without any way for your ISP to know about it.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by maetkh
    If you go for using a computer ( 486 with 8Meg Ram and suitable software would be fine ) then whether you are using a router or a hub you can also configure each computer to use static IP addresses. You need to set them all to the same range and other bits need to be set up.
    If you use what is called a class C address then over 240 computers can be set up to the same range and they can all be on the same Lan. Your ISP will know nothing about them.
    hope that helps,
    Norm