Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Hi - If it was me in the same situation I would boot from the Mandriva installation disk and choose the option to 'upgrade' rather than reinstall. I think you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hi - If it was me in the same situation I would boot from the Mandriva installation disk and choose the option to 'upgrade' rather than reinstall. I think you then get the option to install a bootloader in the root partition. Hand configuring a bootloader is possible, but you have to know exactly what you're doing. If you can possibly automate this process then IMHO this is better.

GRUB is a very good bootloader, but initially it needs some work to get it going. Once you have it running it's rock solid and you're likely to stop noticing it. However, I would chose LILO and ignore GRUB for the time being. It's the default bootloader after all. It's neither better nor worse than GRUB, but keep things as simple as possible if you can.

Are you dual booting? If so that's an added complication.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Hi - If it was me in the same situation I would boot from the Mandriva installation disk and choose the option to 'upgrade' rather than reinstall
    This is exactly what I did - please read my second post for details - it says it cannot find hda2

However, I would chose LILO and ignore GRUB for the time being. It's the default bootloader after all. It's neither better nor worse than GRUB, but keep things as simple as possible if you can.
    Well, I have tried both yesterday as written earlier, and neither one works.

Hand configuring a bootloader is possible, but you have to know exactly what you're doing. If you can possibly automate this process then IMHO this is better.
    Since neither the installer by update, nor the rescue boot reinstaller nor the Mandriva One GUI can fix it -if nobody can find a way, it will have to be done. If Mandriva One comes with a VNC client, I am willing to let some Linux Mandriva expert try on my machine, if somebody is willing =)
    Are you dual booting? If so that's an added complication.
    It worked the best with Windows bootloader on HDD and Linux bootloader on FDD, and I would like to stick with that!

I think there may be at least 2 problems.
    1/ You have an NTFS filesystem to which linux is trying to write to. This has only very,very recently become possible safely as far as I know. so it may be why grub is failing. ( I doubt that Mandrivea has the ability to write to NTFS )
    2/ Your lilo.conf or grub menu.lst is on your floppy disc not your hard disc.

Please try the following :
    See if you can find lilo.conf or menu.lst ( that's lower case L not 1) either on a hard disc or the floppy.

After you boot to the recovery console you should be able to mount the floppy disc.

If you put the floppy with the boot files in the floppy drive and issue the following command :
    mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

you should be able to see whats on it :
    ls /mnt

post this and the full /etc/fstab from your hard disc and then we can look at it.
    Norm

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi - a simple trick for locating files is to just use the find command:

as root ...

find / -name menu.lst -print
    find / -name lilo.conf -print

Just a little tip to help you along. That's just for searching your hdd.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Well I used to think that but I think it's for searching all mounted devices/partitions
    so would search CD Roms, DVD's, anything mounted from usb such as cameras etc.
    as your example is searching from / and everything mounted appears under /.

Norm

Just Joined!
    Thanks for replies to all of you

Quote Originally Posted by buteman
    I think there may be at least 2 problems.
    1/ You have an NTFS filesystem to which linux is trying to write to. This has only very,very recently become possible safely as far as I know. so it may be why grub is failing. ( I doubt that Mandrivea has the ability to write to NTFS )
    Well, I had NTFS before on 3 other drives, now, I have 2 (4 - 3 + 1 = 2).
    That's all I can say about this. I didn't know that now, Linux Kernel can also write to NTFS

2/ Your lilo.conf or grub menu.lst is on your floppy disc not your hard disc.
    Actually, no. That was the first thing I checked. here is what is on the disk:

boot.mgs*
    initrd*
    ldlinux.sys*
    syslinux.cfg*
    vmlinuz*
    Please try the following :
    See if you can find lilo.conf or menu.lst ( that's lower case L not 1) either on a hard disc or the floppy.
    a simple trick for locating files is to just use the find command:

as root ...

find / -name menu.lst -print
    find / -name lilo.conf -print
    yeah, I know as in "LILO", "LInux LOader"
    That was the 2nd thing I did back then. It brings no result, nothing on the screen, just another empty command line prompt.
    post this and the full /etc/fstab from your hard disc and then we can look at it.
    The fstab became quite small by the update:

/dev/ram3 /ext2 defaults 1 1
    /dev/fdd0/mnt/floppy auto defaults, noauto 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults, noauto, ro 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto defaults, noauto 0 0

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for all the help and not giving up!

Well I used to think that but I think it's for searching all mounted devices/partitions
    so would search CD Roms, DVD's, anything mounted from usb such as cameras etc.
    as your example is searching from / and everything mounted appears under /.

Norm
    I know, but I always remove CDs/DVDs and unplug everything before I search like that. Easy solution.

The fstab became quite small by the update:

/dev/ram3 /ext2 defaults 1 1
    /dev/fdd0/mnt/floppy auto defaults, noauto 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults, noauto, ro 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto defaults, noauto 0 0
    I think this is what you see when you have not updated the system.
    Your fstab is not refering to any hard discs at all.
    I believe that when you are updating by booting from DVD the original linux system will be mounted under /mnt until it is sorted out then, on re-boot it should all come together. But this seems to not have happened for some reason.

I suspect that one of the drives you removed was the Master drive on the First IDE channel which, in linux speak is hda or, usually, in windows drive C. This would explain why hda2 could not be found.
    Which drive is the original linux on, hda, hdb, hde or hdf?
    Norm

Just Joined!
    I think this is what you see when you have not updated the system.
    Your fstab is not refering to any hard discs at all.
    I believe that when you are updating by booting from DVD the original linux system will be mounted under /mnt until it is sorted out then, on re-boot it should all come together. But this seems to not have happened for some reason.

I suspect that one of the drives you removed was the Master drive on the First IDE channel which, in linux speak is hda or, usually, in windows drive C. This would explain why hda2 could not be found.
    Which drive is the original linux on, hda, hdb, hde or hdf?
    Norm
    You were close! =)
    This HDD was Primary Master (so Master on IDE but:
    You have to know that I used an extra PCI IDE controller (that was compatible to Linux of course) =)

So that's why HDA wasn't Windows but Linux

The security console finds Mandriva kernal and partition ext 3 at hdb5 which is correct since the drive now is Primary Slave (so Slave on IDE1)

What am I supposed to do now?

Thanks!

You were close! =)
    This HDD was Primary Master (so Master on IDE but:
    You have to know that I used an extra PCI IDE controller (that was compatible to Linux of course) =)
    Yes, I realised that you had done that because if you had SATA drives as well they would show up as sda, sdb etc.

So that's why HDA wasn't Windows but Linux

The security console finds Mandriva kernal and partition ext 3 at hdb5 which is correct since the drive now is Primary Slave (so Slave on IDE1)
    Well, have you got another drive in place as Primary Master?
    If not then is there any reason why you cannot alter the jumper on the drive to make it Primary Master?
    Norm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast