Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by buteman Yes, I realised that you had done that because if you had SATA drives as well they would show up as sda, sdb etc. Well, have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by buteman
    Yes, I realised that you had done that because if you had SATA drives as well they would show up as sda, sdb etc.

Well, have you got another drive in place as Primary Master?
    If not then is there any reason why you cannot alter the jumper on the drive to make it Primary Master?
    Norm
    Yes, the IBM HDD is weird eventhough I had jumpered it correctly, it will block the drives on IDE 2 (2 x DVD drives) port totally if I run it at master. That is why I had to remove the other drives to another PC, because the external IDE controller was not compatible with the BIOS of the new PC.

Also, the Master drive now has Windows Vista RC1.

And no, I am no noob or so I am doing IT crap since years and also did an education as Management Assistant in Informatics. This drive is just weird.
    Well, all the other people who I know had IBM drives, now have dead IBM drives, so I really prefer an IBM drive not working as Primary Master (eventhough jumpered correctly) over an IBM drive that is dead.

PATA: PCs back then in 2001-2004 haven't neccessarily had SATA controllers onboard, let alone affordable SATA drives back then!

Linux lovers naturally say that Linux has always solutions for any problems, I am sure there is one for me, too?
    Make it stop wanting HDA2 or something.

I am sorry for the hard problem
    I really hope there is a way to fix this.

Thanks.

Okay,
    Then the only solution I can see is to choose Install and tell it to install to hdb.
    If, as I expect, hda ( Vista) is NTFS then you are unlikely to be able to select writing to mbr/hda for your boot options. In which case you will probably be better off choosing to write to floppy for it to work.
    Choosing reinstall or update will just send you round in circles with the same problems about hda2.
    Best wishes,
    Norm
    PS let us know how you get on, even a failure teaches us all something.

Just Joined!
    Okay,
    Then the only solution I can see is to choose Install and tell it to install to hdb.
    If, as I expect, hda ( Vista) is NTFS then you are unlikely to be able to select writing to mbr/hda for your boot options. In which case you will probably be better off choosing to write to floppy for it to work.
    Choosing reinstall or update will just send you round in circles with the same problems about hda2.
    Best wishes,
    Norm
    PS let us know how you get on, even a failure teaches us all something.

I do not want to do a complete re-install, I would lose all my hours, days and weeks I spent to get Mandriva/Mandrake working over 3 years.
    Isn't it easier if I just convert the partitions to FAT32?

I do not want to do a complete re-install, I would lose all my hours, days and weeks I spent to get Mandriva/Mandrake working over 3 years.
    Isn't it easier if I just convert the partitions to FAT32?
    Sorry, I don't know if that would help. If you have installed Vista and it is on a single partition and using the whole disc then hda2 will no longer be there.

What is it you are afraid to lose?
    Is it just configurations or is it data you have created?

In either case if they are still on the drive it could be possible you could burn them to CD/DVD
    before you do an install and recover them later.

However configuration stuff will possibly have changed in some cases.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I don't know if that would help. If you have installed Vista and it is on a single partition and using the whole disc then hda2 will no longer be there.

What is it you are afraid to lose?
    Is it just configurations or is it data you have created?

In either case if they are still on the drive it could be possible you could burn them to CD/DVD
    before you do an install and recover them later.

However configuration stuff will possibly have changed in some cases.
    There are a couple of NTFS partitions on HDD1, not only one.
    I would convert them all to FAT32, so Linux can write on it. (As you said that is what the bootloader wants and that's why the errors)

The whole thing, data, installation of programs. Sorry to say, but compared to Windows, Linux is hell when it comes to usablity. If there is no solution for my problem, I will just ditch Linux forever and consider my 3rd try with Linux (tried Suse & ReadHeat before) as very failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nafcom
    The whole thing, data, installation of programs. Sorry to say, but compared to Windows, Linux is hell when it comes to usablity. If there is no solution for my problem, I will just ditch Linux forever and consider my 3rd try with Linux (tried Suse & ReadHeat before) as very failed.
    Yes I can see your frustration but I doubt that Windows would have coped with removing or altering vital discs.

However the "advantage" of Windows is that generally it just tramples over everything else so if you had other stuff on the drive it would have trashed it without even asking. You also get what you get until, eventually, MS decide to release updates.

By all means try fat32 and see if you do make progress.
    Best wishes,
    Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Nafcom
    There are a couple of NTFS partitions on HDD1, not only one.
    I would convert them all to FAT32, so Linux can write on it. (As you said that is what the bootloader wants and that's why the errors)

I don't really see your point, though I also understand your frustration. You aren't looking at things very straight at this point if you're trying to compare Linux with Windows. That's not the question.

I think your setup is currently incompatible with Linux. I built my own box and installed Mandriva, but trying to install it on a Windows based file system will frankly get you nowhere fast.

I'm not taking a punt at you, just telling you to ease up. It's actually not that hard, but you need to take a few steps back and look at what you're asking for. If you want to install Linux do it on a Linux friendly filesystem.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    I don't really see your point, though I also understand your frustration. You aren't looking at things very straight at this point if you're trying to compare Linux with Windows. That's not the question.

I think your setup is currently incompatible with Linux. I built my own box and installed Mandriva, but trying to install it on a Windows based file system will frankly get you nowhere fast.

I'm not taking a punt at you, just telling you to ease up. It's actually not that hard, but you need to take a few steps back and look at what you're asking for. If you want to install Linux do it on a Linux friendly filesystem.
    The system ran Mandrake/Mandriva fine for 3 years and I put this PC together myself and only with components I know to be Linux compatible
    And it's incredible for me it's not possible to fix the bootloader.

It's hard to get help for Linux. Very often you get errors nobody knows what to do and will just say "reinstall". I reinstalled Linux more than Windows XP already.
    I would like to break this chain of constant "Linux bugs" - Solution: "Reinstall"

The system ran Mandrake/Mandriva fine for 3 years and I put this PC together myself and only with components I know to be Linux compatible
    So you do see it works. You made a good decision to use linux compatible components.
    Don't forget, though, that the drivers for your 'linux compatible' hardware were in the main written by people who had NO help from their manufacturers. Windows itself does usually detect hardware but it often only has basic drivers and without the manufacturer supplying them it would likely be quite poor and the drivers would probably not be improved by Microsoft.

And it's incredible for me it's not possible to fix the bootloader.
    If you remove the Vista hard disc and try to do a repair from your Vista disc what would be there to repair?
    I think you are expecting the impossible. If you could put the system back to how it was you would not have the problem. You have overwritten part of the system with Vista.
    How can you say this is a Linux problem?

It's hard to get help for Linux. Very often you get errors nobody knows what to do and will just say "reinstall". I reinstalled Linux more than Windows XP already.
    Very often it is because the user is not like you they know little about computers only how to use some piece of software.

Please don't think i am getting at you over this. No-one learns without ever having made an error. I am the last one to claim I am perfect but I do hope you appreciate that several of us have tried hard to help you.

Why not try your own FAT32 idea?
    best wishes,
    Norm

Just Joined!

Talking

No hard feelings, I am aware of that. However since I didn't touch that HDD on which Linux was, I don't think I have overwritten anything by Windows Vista

Anyway, I think I have found a solution for the problem (it's a different idea, though =) )

Yes I know that hardware manufactorers - at least most of them - do not support Linux or even MacOS and this sucks.

Oh yes, I appreciate all the people replying here and helping, I already said it a couple of times, so thanks again

And all the help was appreciate and required really.

I still think Linux has to become a lot more user friendly still

I am working currently on my idea for a fix, this will take a while, then I will report back. I have got a properly configurated fstab now (at least a copy of it - thanks to an USB stick, heeheh)

Live is wonderful, hehe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast