Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I have already searched in google and in the mandriva irc but yet found no answer. Actually, I even made a break of one year because I put so much ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installation problem of mandriva after changing PC

I have already searched in google and in the mandriva irc but yet found no answer. Actually, I even made a break of one year because I put so much energy and time in my installation and configuration of my Mandrake, I do not want to re-do all. NO CHANCE

Well, due to various reasons, I had to put my Mandrake HDD into another PC.
    And I wanted to update its installation (I just downloaded today Mandrake 2007 Free and also tried with earlier versions before).

So far no problem, it recognizes the previous installation finds it and offers me to update, great so far, but unfortunately due to the fact that the pc in which the HDD has been had 4 HDDs, it cannot find the other drives/partitions and skips with "cannot find [path]" ([path] = path of the partition)
    So how can I skip this test/mount of the old partitions/drive or correct that info so the installer will continue?

Well, I am no Linux expert unfortunately so I do not know how I can fix this problem, hope anybody can help!

Thanks in advance!

You say that you had 4 HDD's in the old P.C so I am guessing that some ( or all ) of them were used for Linux or for MS Windows accessed from Linux. So you may have a problem. Let me explain.
    As far as I remember you need a root directory ( / ) with /usr, /etc, /sbin and probably others on the same partition. In /etc is fstab a file which shows what partitions are mounted on your system.
    If this is so then in this fstab file will also be information which would point to, for example your Window partition or your home directory.
    If they are on a different drive then your update may be trying to access them to examine/update them.
    It may be possible to get round the problem.
    Again I am not sure of the details in full but you may be able to boot a live distro ( eg Knoppix ) and mount the partition with /etc/fstab on it, edit this file, save it. shutdown and re-boot.

All of this depends on what you had and where it was so, if you can do so, please give these details. Also you might try booting the live distro and posting the contents of /etc/fstab anyway.
    best wishes,
    Norm

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by buteman
    You say that you had 4 HDD's in the old P.C so I am guessing that some ( or all ) of them were used for Linux or for MS Windows accessed from Linux. So you may have a problem. Let me explain.
    As far as I remember you need a root directory ( / ) with /usr, /etc, /sbin and probably others on the same partition. In /etc is fstab a file which shows what partitions are mounted on your system.
    If this is so then in this fstab file will also be information which would point to, for example your Window partition or your home directory.
    If they are on a different drive then your update may be trying to access them to examine/update them.
    It may be possible to get round the problem.
    Again I am not sure of the details in full but you may be able to boot a live distro ( eg Knoppix ) and mount the partition with /etc/fstab on it, edit this file, save it. shutdown and re-boot.

All of this depends on what you had and where it was so, if you can do so, please give these details. Also you might try booting the live distro and posting the contents of /etc/fstab anyway.
    best wishes,
    Norm

Thanks for your reply!

Well, it is the same PC really, I just had to remove some drives for another PC.
    And your guess that all were windows drive/partitions is correct
    The /etc/fstab shows the following drives

hda2
    hda5
    hde1
    hdf7
    hde5
    hdf8
    hde7
    hdb6
    hdf9
    hdb7

(All labeled WIN and being FAT32 or NTFS).

And 3 CDROM/DVDs

and on top:

"/mnt/hdf5" ext3

I have put a '#' infront of all Windows partitions and the 3rd optical device, then the update went through.

However, at the "install bootloader" point, it aborted with "no such device, hda2"

When I select the "reinstall bootloader" in the Mandriva DVD startup menu, it says the same, mentioning "LILO".

And the boot sector, I wrote back then on FDD since when I wrote it on HDD, it would mess up my Windows boot sectors (really!)

I have got the following suggestions on other places:

Either:

-edit /etc/LILO.CONF or /etc/GRUB.CONF (but I wasn't told how, plus I do not find them on the HDD).

OR:

-reinstall the kernal with (entered rpm -ivh kernel-(your version).rpm --force --nodeps) what I got was this:

"kernel -2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

Headeer V3DSA Signature nokey key 1026752624
    prepairing: .... 100%
    1: kernel -2.6.17.5 ... 100%

error: unpacking archive failed on file /boot/System.map.2.6.17.5mdv;5416afc2 cpio mkdir failed no such file or directory"

Then my DVD drive died and I need to get a new one tomorrow.

I don't need any special live distribution or Knoppix CD, I simply select "mount all drives at /mnt" and then "start recovery console" in the bootup menu of the Mandriva DVD

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Assuming you used Lilo as a boot manager it's probably worth checking out your lilo.conf file. It's probably set up to recognise your old hdd structure. It's only a text file, so easy to edit, though you might need to do a bit of reading before you change anything. Here's some very basic information.

::EDIT:: Btw I posted this at the same time as your last post, so I'm not ignoring what you've been told on other forums etc. You can edit Lilo from inside the Mandriva Control Centre (or 'Configure your Computer' - Same thing).
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Assuming you used Lilo as a boot manager it's probably worth checking out your lilo.conf file. It's probably set up to recognise your old hdd structure. It's only a text file, so easy to edit, though you might need to do a bit of reading before you change anything. Here's some very basic information.

::EDIT:: Btw I posted this at the same time as your last post, so I'm not ignoring what you've been told on other forums etc. You can edit Lilo from inside the Mandriva Control Centre (or 'Configure your Computer' - Same thing).
    Thanks!
    Just 2 problems: Since I just only have the recovery console, I cannot go to the Mandriva Control Centre, I have to do everything from the recovery console.

And, where is the lilo.conf file located? I have got told it's in /ect/boot but I do not have "/etc/boot". Maybe it's somewhere else since I selected to write bootsector to FDD? (and it tries to write it to the FDD, when I select to write the linux bootloader in the DVD startup menu).

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Nafcom
    And, where is the lilo.conf file located?
    lilo.conf file is in /etc

EDIT: hey Kojak ! thanx ...
    corrected

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Nope. lilo.conf is located in /etc, not /boot/grub.

/etc/lilo.conf
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

Just Joined!
    Okay, thanks.
    I will check its contents and post it tomorrow

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojak
    Nope. lilo.conf is located in /etc, not /boot/grub.

/etc/lilo.conf
    I have neither any grub nor any lilo files there
    I only can find /mnt/grub showing stage, example and gz files.

EDIT: I found out, I can type in "grub" and grub's "editor" starts, however doesn't matter which command I enter, it says "unrecognized device". Maybe this helps

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    You can edit Lilo from inside the Mandriva Control Centre (or 'Configure your Computer' - Same thing).
    I tried that today. with Mandriva One.
    First I looked at the partitons and figured out that none had a mount point, so I set them each to /mnt/*

Then configurating boot up:
    This happened: "No boot loader installed", do you want to configure one?"
    Then with Grub I get the following error:

"installation of Bootloader failed
    Fatal: Trying to map files unamed device 0 x 000f (NTFS/RAID) maybe off?).

Grub just says: "installation of Bootloader failed Checksum error" 5 times in a row".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast