Find the answer to your Linux question:
From time to time, I may lose track of where I saved a file. When downloading a program in a RPM package format, it'll save here /var/tmp/.....[...] problem is, when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Finding Saved RPM Packages

From time to time, I may lose track of where I saved a file. When downloading a program in a RPM package format, it'll save here /var/tmp/.....[...] problem is, when I locate this, it doesn't show up anywhere...when logged in as root...it may list the installed software...but I'm not sure I know the command to run it... Is there information out there for general run commands...like a standard or typical format often used?

EDIT: depending on the file...this is where it will be...I was downloaded VLC player and Xine Player.

have you tried

updatedb or locate -u
    and then
    locate *.rpm
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

If you are browsing from Firefox and download then it should always download the files to one place on your system.
    In Firefox you can click on tools/Downloads to bring up a window to see the history of downloads.
    Also in Firefox you can change where this is to be.
    Click on Edit/preferences/Downloads and browse to where you want this to be.
    I am in the habit of creating a directory off my home directory called downloads and always save to it.
    Hope that helps,
    Norm

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I wouldn't save anything in /tmp, /var/tmp etc because those directories tend to be cleaned up at reboot or whatever period set by your distros meaning that you will lose your info if you store it in those directories.