Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed mandriva 10.2 and there is no sounds how do i fix this problem?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry No sound

I just installed mandriva 10.2 and there is no sounds

how do i fix this problem?

Just Joined!
    Anyone can help me plz.... I cant listen to music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it the worst when you can't work with music coming out of your PC.

I would suggest first to make sure that your sound card is detected by the system. If it is, you might just have a few noise control that is muted. You can look at it with
    Code:
    alsamixer
    If there is a little MM on top, the control device is muted. You can turn the sound on by pressing M.

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatra2
    Isn't it the worst when you can't work with music coming out of your PC.

I would suggest first to make sure that your sound card is detected by the system. If it is, you might just have a few noise control that is muted. You can look at it with
    Code:
    alsamixer
    If there is a little MM on top, the control device is muted. You can turn the sound on by pressing M.

Cheers
    i got alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

Linux Newbie
    As mentioned above, please check for something simple like muted volume.

Mandrake needs to not only see your card but have drivers as well.

1. Open Mandrake Control Center . menu>system>configuration>configure your computer click on hardware>then look at and configure the hdwr.

MDK is just reporting what the embedded ID is . It SHOULD have the drivers if it "sees" the card, but they may be generic drivers or not updated or any number of variables that will cause problems. Try to find out what your audio chipset is and Google compatibility. I had problems with CrystalFusion cs4610 as did others even though MDK reported the correct drivers. PClinuxos, Mepis and Ubuntu could not work with this card although PuppyLinux did fine. Go figure!

Try to go thru config wizard.

Now go to terminal and check the output of "lspci". See if your card is listed.
    Then "lsmod" and see if the sound module (driver) that MCC hardware reports is listed.

If so, then check Kmix. There should be a mixer (eg. ALSA). As mentioned above, open mixer and check for muted or volumes at 0%.

Sorry, still new to alsaconfig and alsamixer, but try to run those from terminal.

hope this helps