Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi there ! Here is what I need: I am using an AMD Athlon 1,1 GHz/kt266 FDSX/128 MB SDRAM system as a game/hub server, and also to give internet to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Crossover type internet connection sharing

Hi there ! Here is what I need: I am using an AMD Athlon 1,1 GHz/kt266 FDSX/128 MB SDRAM system as a game/hub server, and also to give internet to my PC. The server has 2 LAN cards, the first one with the internet cable, second one goes to my PC. I installed Linux Mandriva 2006 on the server, on my PC I have Win XP x64. I know basics about networking and stuff and I also used Linux before, so I only need the commands, no noob-stuff needed... But I need to know exactly what I have to do to give internet to my PC, top to bottom !

Quote Originally Posted by SINEKT
    Hi there ! Here is what I need: I am using an AMD Athlon 1,1 GHz/kt266 FDSX/128 MB SDRAM system as a game/hub server, and also to give internet to my PC. The server has 2 LAN cards, the first one with the internet cable, second one goes to my PC. I installed Linux Mandriva 2006 on the server, on my PC I have Win XP x64. I know basics about networking and stuff and I also used Linux before, so I only need the commands, no noob-stuff needed... But I need to know exactly what I have to do to give internet to my PC, top to bottom !
    Linux Box:
    Lan card to internet cable needs an IP address in same range as modem
    Lan card to which you connect WinXp Pc needs a different IP range.

WinXp needs Ip address in same range as Lan card it connects to in Linux Box.

Gateway address for Linux Box needs to be Ip address of modem

Gateway address for WinXp Box needs to be Ip address of Lan card in Linux box to which it is connected.

Eg
    ---------------------------------------------------
    modem 192.168.1.1
    Linux Lan Card->modem 192.168.1.100
    Gateway 192.168.1.1
    ---------------------------------------------------

Linux Lan Card-> WinXp 192.168.2.10
    WinXp Lan Card->Linux Box 192.168.2.20
    WinXp Gateway address 192.168.2.10

Start Mandiva Control Panel
    Select Network & Internet

Select "Share the Internet connection with other local machines"
    set up the bits for sharing according to the above

Set up WinXp internet as above.

Hope that helps.

Please let us know how you get on.
    If I got it right then others will benefit.
    If I got it wrong then I need to know.

Just Joined!
    I managed to do it anyway... didn't know it had a GUI for sharing connection... One thing I do not understand is why you mentioned a modem... I did't say anything about any modem There is no modem around

10x for your help

If it is helpful, I will give more info. Sorry for deleted info, it was wrong, I'll post later the good stuff

I managed to do it anyway... didn't know it had a GUI for sharing connection... One thing I do not understand is why you mentioned a modem... I did't say anything about any modem There is no modem around

10x for your help

If it is helpful, I will give more info. Sorry for deleted info, it was wrong, I'll post later the good stuff
    You said
    "The server has 2 LAN cards, the first one with the internet cable,"
    so what's at the other end of that cable

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by buteman
    so what's at the other end of that cable
    Perhaps a switch ?

Perhaps a switch ?
    Okay
    Well I have a P.C with 2 Lan cards. One a PCI ethernet card which goes to a switch which goes to an ADSL Modem.
    A Switch, as I expect you know,is just a device which routes the data selectively. Ultimately, for configuring the connection, it can be ignored.
    It will usually connect your PC to either a dial up modem, a cable modem or an ADSL modem.
    It is this device which has an IP address which is the gateway address for your PC.
    Hence it is this address which is needed to set up your system and why I asked.
    Just in case others, less knowledgeable than you, are wondering.

Just Joined!
    Well, leaving that aside, here is my little "Internet connection sharing tutorial for mandriva":

1. K Menu -> System -> Configuration -> Configure your computer
    2. Enter ROOT password
    3. Network & Internet -> Set up a network interface

Here you set each of your 2 network adapters as follows:

Adapter connected to main internet cable - settings given to you by your ISP ( IP, Netmask, Gateway, DNS )

Adapter connected to the second PC through a crossover cable:
    IP - 192.168.0.1
    Netmask - 255.255.255.0
    Gateway - 0.0.0.0 (it is very important that you DO NOT leave this field blank; even if Windows assigns 0.0.0.0 automatically for blank entry, I see that Mandriva assigns a wrong address that does't work)

Next, go to "Share internet connection with other local machines" and select the card connected to internet. Then NEXT, a few services have to be installed, you will be asked for installation CDs (not sure which of these services are vital for connection sharing so I installed them all).

Restart linux server

Then set the network adapter on your second PC as follows:

IP - 192.168.0.2
    Netmask - 255.255.255.0
    gateway - 192.168.0.1
    DNS-s given by your ISP

This should work, at least it works for me

1. K Menu -> System -> Configuration -> Configure your computer
    2. Enter ROOT password
    3. Network & Internet -> Set up a network interface

Here you set each of your 2 network adapters as follows:

Adapter connected to main internet cable - settings given to you by your ISP ( IP, Netmask, Gateway, DNS )
    I had a lot of trouble with this so set my IP address as a static address because Control panel would not allow me to set an Ip address for the one to my second PC in the same range as that for internet.

Adapter connected to the second PC through a crossover cable:
    IP - 192.168.0.1
    Netmask - 255.255.255.0
    Gateway - 0.0.0.0 (it is very important that you DO NOT leave this field blank; even if Windows assigns 0.0.0.0 automatically for blank entry, I see that Mandriva assigns a wrong address that does't work)

Next, go to "Share internet connection with other local machines" and select the card connected to internet. Then NEXT, a few services have to be installed, you will be asked for installation CDs (not sure which of these services are vital for connection charing so I installed them all).

Then set the network adapter on your second PC as follows:

IP - 192.168.0.2
    Netmask - 255.255.255.0
    gateway - 192.168.0.1
    DNS-s given by your ISP

This should work, at least it works for me
    So was there a bug in the software I had?
    Cannot check as I have run update several times since then.
    Ah well at least we both have been able to show ways which work so
    at least others will have 2 methods to try.
    Best wishes sinekt.
    buteman

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by buteman
    I had a lot of trouble with this so set my IP address as a static address because Control panel would not allow me to set an Ip address for the one to my second PC in the same range as that for internet.
    Hmm Well in my case they don't look alike at all... ISP settings are as follows: IP - 195.234.x.y (I omitted last 2 numbers for obvious reasons ), Netmask 255.255.255.128, Gateway 195.234.x.1 ( x is the same with the one in IP ), and for the second adapter you have to write IP-192.168.0.1, Netmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 0.0.0.0 which obviously is far from my ISP settings. Don't know what settings u have from your ISP... anyway, if it works, it's ok

Hmm Well in my case they don't look alike at all... ISP settings are as follows: IP - 195.234.x.y (I omitted last 2 numbers for obvious reasons ), Netmask 255.255.255.128, Gateway 195.234.x.1 ( x is the same with the one in IP ), and for the second adapter you have to write IP-192.168.0.1, Netmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 0.0.0.0 which obviously is far from my ISP settings. Don't know what settings u have from your ISP... anyway, if it works, it's ok
    Yes, that's what I configured manually - very strange

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast