Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all I was following Techie Moe's thread on how to install Nvidia drivers and after entering run level 3 and trying to run the drivers I keep getting a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NVIDIA.....again

Hi all

I was following Techie Moe's thread on how to install Nvidia drivers and after entering run level 3 and trying to run the drivers I keep getting a "no such directory or file"..im not sure if i have downloaded the correct driver....i have a regular 32 bit setup and i "thought" that the correct driver was the free BSD driver named NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-8774.tar.gz now im likely wrong...but is this the correct driver? or am i looking for NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8774-pkg1.run? I have both versions on the desktop and in the home folder so im not sure why it cannot find them.....what am i doing wrong?

setup..
    AMD Athlon 2500+
    NVIDIA fx 5500 FORSA
    1 g RAM

ok i got a ways into it and get to the directory to install the nvidia stuff....then it tells me it has to compile something........it can;t compile it due to the nvidia-ko package being corrupted or not there ....i think this is the only thing stopping me.

When i search for NVIDIA packages in rpmdrake i get these ones

dkms-nvidia-8774-01.20060plf
    dkms-nvidia_legacy-7182-3.1.20060plf
    nvidia-8774-0.1.20060plf
    nvidia-devel-8774-0.1.20060plf
    nvidia_legacy-7182-3.1.20060plf
    nvidia_legacy-devel-7182-3.1.20060plf

I can't install any of them, it tells me that package can't be selected........

what do i have to do from this point???

no ideas on this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Celticparadox
    or am i looking for NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8774-pkg1.run?
    That's the correct version, the one for Linux.

From there, following techieMoe's instructions should work nicely.

Just make sure you do all the steps : installation of gcc, make, kernel-source, etc.

More here :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

one question....when i do the update there are SO many gcc, makes and kernels available which is the right ones....all of em?

Many versions of gcc, make and kernel-source may be available. Still, there is one default "gcc", one default "make" and one kernel-source related to your kernel version.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee