Find the answer to your Linux question:
This may be a simple motherboard issue, i dont know? I have xp installed on my hdd, i had planned to instal Fedora Core 4 x64 and Mandriva LE2006 on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CD boots with no cd drive error!!!!

This may be a simple motherboard issue, i dont know?
    I have xp installed on my hdd, i had planned to instal Fedora Core 4 x64 and Mandriva LE2006 on a partistion of this drive, i put in the cd, it boots up and then says it can't find cd drive hmm odd! I also have Madriva LE 2006 x86, same thing, boots up then sasy i have no cd drive hmm odd! On an older pc i installed the Mandriva using the same cd drive as i am trying with now it worked perfectly. If anyone has any idea please post

PC Rig:
    Asus P5B
    Corsair DDR2 1Gb Ram
    Intel Pentium D 805
    Ati Saphire 1600 xt 256Mb
    160Gb HDD SATA Western Digital
    CD drive works fine plays cds in windows and worked linux in old pc

Old PC Rig: (please dont frown upon me too much)
    Intel Pentium 3 800Mhz
    512mb ram
    Matrox Millenium G400 Dualhead 32mb
    40Gb Western Digital IDE HDD
    Asus old somthing
    Exactly the same cd drive

Hopefully there is an easy driver instaliation fix so someone with knowledge please help

[EDIT]
    the cd itself boots, it tries to install and then has a problem finding the cd from which it came from

The BIOS found the CD-ROM, not SuSE, it's not odd
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    ok so the cd cant find cd-rom, but the bios can find the cd, how do i fix this

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_W
    This may be a simple motherboard issue, i dont know?
    yes ! this is simple mother board issue. download latest version of BIOS from your MotherBoard's WebSite and flash it. download correct version coz wrong BIOS file can damage your mobo and its irreversible proccess.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    ok, heres the problem, i though i twas in luck when i saw the new bios update, but unfortunaly it did nothing to resolve this issue. does anyone else know a way round this????

ok, heres the problem, i though i twas in luck when i saw the new bios update, but unfortunaly it did nothing to resolve this issue. does anyone else know a way round this????
    BIOS upgrade didn't solve your problem....hmmm... well ! chipset is not supported by Linux ... check this Link... a few workarounds are also listed there.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    i checked the link, tried tempoarily changing to PATA, but oculdnt no options so am i stuffed, (im not trying the other 2 options too complicated for me). Its a shame really because even live-cd's won't work, im intreged as to how winxp installed, does it have superior drivers, if so is there a version of linux out there with those drivers???!!

plz help people i miss linux

So is this on the SATA interface? Happens a lot with hard drives. I didn't
    know there were SATA cdroms. Oh well. A different distro may have better luck.
    It depends on the kernel the installer boots into.

Just Joined!
    ive looked into it, and found positivly that Fedora Core 6 solves the jmicron issue. so i download it all well and good heres the next issue that i might have to move to an xp forum. Due to the jmicron issue i cant actually write the iso's to cd :@ what am i to do, can i make a floppy disc, which is useless to me, no floppy drive!!! and even if there is a way round im sttill stuffed in xp to write,

i heard a conspiracy that asus is trying to wipe out ide :@ grr tht sucks if it is true