Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, I wanted to get back into Linux after being outta the loop for the last year or so, so I downloaded Mandriva 2007 Free DVD from their FTP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2007 Free DVD Install Problems

Hello all, I wanted to get back into Linux after being outta the loop for the last year or so, so I downloaded Mandriva 2007 Free DVD from their FTP

Burned the disk, popped it in figuring itd be as easy as Mandrake always was for me (ive used mandrake 6-10)

I get greeted with a text screen where it looks like its loading something into memory or graphics memory or something, then it just freezes there, I cant do anything but reset the PC. No error message or anything

What could be the issue? Its an Intel P4 Board, 3.2 P4 CPU, 1gb DDR400 RAM. Nothing fancy really in my system, regular IDE HDDs, IDE Opticals, AGP video card (Nvidia)

Any ideas? Thanks

Did you verify the checksum of the ISO before you burned it?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    yes i did, and even tried redownloading the DVD and teh CD version

It boots to the install screen for a split second, then screen turns black and its frozen. Sometiems the monitor says "Out Of Range" , but usually its just blank screen.

Is there an issue with Intel boards, Nvidia cards, or any of that crap still in 2006/2007 with Linux? I mean come on

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

this is the screen i get on the occasions where I can actually see the screen, other times I just get a blank screen

any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by tshizzle
    Is there an issue with Intel boards, Nvidia cards, or any of that crap still in 2006/2007 with Linux? I mean come on
    No, neither of those should give you any trouble. Nvidia actually has the best Linux support among major video hardware manufacturers, and I've never known there to be any issue with Intel and any Linux distribution.

The "out of sync" error usually means Mandriva didn't identify your monitor correctly and the vertical/horizontal sync values are wrong. Generally during the install process you get the option of testing your X Windows configuration before you exit. Did you do this?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    No, neither of those should give you any trouble. Nvidia actually has the best Linux support among major video hardware manufacturers, and I've never known there to be any issue with Intel and any Linux distribution.

The "out of sync" error usually means Mandriva didn't identify your monitor correctly and the vertical/horizontal sync values are wrong. Generally during the install process you get the option of testing your X Windows configuration before you exit. Did you do this?

No as this screen is the first screen Im greeted with - I cant even get to the actual installation

Just Joined!
    No as this screen is the first screen Im greeted with - I cant even get to the actual installation

anyone have an idea?

anyone have an idea?
    What kind of BIOS does your system run? Just wondering if that's the issue in some way.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    What kind of BIOS does your system run? Just wondering if that's the issue in some way.
    not 100% sure of fthe top of my head, but its just an Intel D865 Motherboard. Ive had Mandrake 9 and 10 on here before with very few issues

not 100% sure of fthe top of my head, but its just an Intel D865 Motherboard. Ive had Mandrake 9 and 10 on here before with very few issues
    Hmm that's strange. A long shot perhaps, but it might be worth booting into your BIOS and seeing how ACPI is set up. Not sure that this is really an issue ... However it's worth a go. You should be able to toggle it on or off, then try installing again. Likewise play around with plug and play in your BIOS ... on/off. See if that helps.

If you have an old copy of Mandrake 10 have a go at installing that. Not that you have to install the whole thing. This would just be a way of figuring out if anything has altered on your system.

The other thing is: that screen shot of yours is too big to read the error messages properly. Can you somehow get that message into a text file and post it on here? It seems to mention noapic ... sometimes that's a key installation issue.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast