Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK. 2 weeks after installing Mandriva Linux 2006, I still have no sound and I'm about to smash this monitor with a sledgehammer. Frustration level is off the charts. Whenever ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no acceptable c compiler in $PATH

OK. 2 weeks after installing Mandriva Linux 2006, I still have no sound and I'm about to smash this monitor with a sledgehammer. Frustration level is off the charts. Whenever I try to install ANY program, it gives the title of this thread. I have gcc installed! When I do whereis gcc i get an actual /something/something. I have re-installed this stupid thing 6 times and made sure to include every damn file that would have the least bit relevance to what I want to do.

I have looked everywhere in google but no one has a better answer than try to re-install when I know that this is false. It won't work. I've tried it. I've also tried to change the $PATH.
    I don't know what else to do. sndconfig actually plays the little sound file but I get nothing after that.

Is this the world of Linux?
    Please prove me wrong.

What do you get when you type gcc --version in a terminal?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    hey ben44b
    what does lspci say? Look for audio. This will tell what driver needs to be configured.
    and copy and paste your lsmod to see if the driver is installed.
    BTW, does Mandriva have alsaconf? This program installs sound.