Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have mandriva 2006 and I have a pretty nasty problem. I am using the linux-machine as a game server, so I'm sharing internet connection from it to my PC. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nasty gateways

I have mandriva 2006 and I have a pretty nasty problem. I am using the linux-machine as a game server, so I'm sharing internet connection from it to my PC. From time to time ( for reasons I yet have to discover ) Linux changes the gateways of the 2 Network adapters to the internet adapter's gateway. So if I initially configure main-internet card like this:

IP - ip given by ISP
    NETMASK - given by ISP
    GATEWAY - given by ISP

DNS1 + DNS 2

And my local area card ( one that goes to PC ) like this:

IP - 192.168.0.1
    NETMASK - 255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY - 0.0.0.0

DNS1 + DNS2

Linux changes the gateway of the local - card to gateway given by ISP, not 0.0.0.0, thus cutting off my PC.

Where is the problem ?

Linux Enthusiast
    Are you setting the TCP/IP settings in the /etc/network/interfaces or are you changing these settings via the CLI? What I mean is, are you making the settings permanent by adding the appropriate entries in the /etc/network/interfaces file along with adding the DNS server IP's in /etc/resolv.conf? If you fail to edit the conf files any changes that you make will be changed via DHCP when you restart the machine.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    Are you setting the TCP/IP settings in the /etc/network/interfaces or are you changing these settings via the CLI? What I mean is, are you making the settings permanent by adding the appropriate entries in the /etc/network/interfaces file along with adding the DNS server IP's in /etc/resolv.conf? If you fail to edit the conf files any changes that you make will be changed via DHCP when you restart the machine.
    Umm.. did't know about this I was using the GUI of Configure your Computer. But I disabled DHCP for both interfaces, shouldn't this have worked ? I'll take a look at those files later on, it's the same thing for me. I assumed on a logical basis that the GUI should be able to modify those files correctly though... Guess I'm still too "Windowed" to get used to these things

Linux Enthusiast
    No, your assumption is correct; however, whenever your add a route, take for example route add - the route is only available until you reboot the machine. The same holds true when using the ifconfig command to change IP address. As for the GUI (KDE/Gnome) should handle the configuration correctly. Can't voice from Mandriva exerience, I don't use it.

Just Joined!
    I only said about ertain moments.. it doesn't seem to have anything to do with rebooting... this hapens quite a few times during the same session, without any reboot...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    /etc/network folder doesn't exist What do I do now?