Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm off to bed now, but interstingly, if I view the DVD in Windows, I see lots of folders and files but if I try to view any of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    sim
    Just Joined!

I'm off to bed now, but interstingly, if I view the DVD in Windows, I see lots of folders and files but if I try to view any of the actual files (eg text documentation files or pdf files) I get an error message that the disk is inaccesible, or, in the case of the pdf docs, I just get a blank document (interstingly of 6 pages length). Again, this leads me to suspect that the disk buring was less than succesfull. I used a program called deepburner (free version) so if anyone can suggest an alternative program to use I'd be grateful.

Cheers
    Sim

sim
    Just Joined!
    OK - I've now managed to install a working linux distro (I gave up on Mandriva for time being and I've installed Ubuntu instead). I now have my big disk (120GB in fact) partitioned into an 80 GB FAT partition with my data stored on that still intact, and Ubuntu installed on the remaining 40 GB of the drive. My other drive has Windows XP safely installed.

All I need to sort out now is how to modify GRUB to sort out a dual boot when I have my big disk connected as the first boot device with my smaller disk with XP on it as my secondary drive. I have no experience with GRUB and typing Help in the command line interface sdidn't help me much so any suggestions of what I should do here would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Sim

setting up dual boot is very easy. check this thread....

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

sim
    Just Joined!
    Cool, I'll give this a go. By the way, what is the second file amendment (i.e. the "now open /boot/grub/device.map file
    add this code

Code:
    (hd1) /dev/hdb "

all about?

Cheers
    Sim

Cool, I'll give this a go. By the way, what is the second file amendment (i.e. the "now open /boot/grub/device.map file
    add this code

Code:
    (hd1) /dev/hdb "

all about?
    device.map file assigns names to the harddisks attached. right now, there is only one entry in the file

hd0 /dev/hda

if you connect another harddisk and you wanna boot from that, then you have to add an entry for it in device.map file. GRUB checks device.map file first and then process grub.conf file.

casper

sim
    Just Joined!
    Ahh - I see. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes once I've given it a go (from back home).

Cheers
    Sim

sim
    Just Joined!
    Hmm

Right, I'm back home now and I have a couple of problems!!!

In the boot/grub directory I can see no file called grub.conf , in fact I can see no files ending .conf

Second (and I suspected something funny might have been going on here for a long time (the entry in the device.map file that is there at the moment reads (hd0) /dev/hdb

so I guess I have the hard drive that I'm now booting to connected to the slave end of the IDE cable (its the one in the middle of the cable rather than the end of the cable). So I guess once I have found the right equivalent to the .conf file I need to amend this to say

hd1 /dev/hda

Does this sound right?
    Any idea where my configuration file might be - I'm in Ubuntu if that helps.

Thanks
    Sim

in Ubuntu, file is menu.lst
    coz your Linux disk is hdb, add this code in menu.lst file.

Code:
    title Windows XP
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        chainloader +1
    keep both disks plugged in as they are.

casper

sim
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for this.

I'll give it a go when I get home. In the meantime I have discovered that I can get Windows to boot just by changing the preferred order of which hard drive to try and boot from first in the BIOS. I think using GRUB would be a neater solution however than having to enter the BIOS and change the settings araound everytime I want to boot into Linux - but at least I don't need to take the side panel off my computer, and plug and unplug the wires around.

By the way, could you maybe just confirm that my proposed addition to the device.map file is correct? (i.e. so it will read:

(hd0) /dev/hdb
    (hd1) /dev/hda

?
    Finally, I'm just curious, but what's the difference between rootnoverify and root?

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards
    Sim

Just Joined!
    Why don't you just use ntldr to load linux (like I did)?
    grub has some problems with Xp... but ntldr loads linux just fine. All you have to do is to make a copy of the linux partition boot sector and add it as an entry to boot.ini.
    You can use mbrwiz to do the copying. If you're interested I can provide details.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast