Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by sim (hd0) /dev/hdb (hd1) /dev/hda this is a correct code. go ahead.......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by sim
    (hd0) /dev/hdb
    (hd1) /dev/hda
    this is a correct code. go ahead....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by acetoline
    Why don't you just use ntldr to load linux (like I did)?
    grub has some problems with Xp... but ntldr loads linux just fine. All you have to do is to make a copy of the linux partition boot sector and add it as an entry to boot.ini.
    You can use mbrwiz to do the copying. If you're interested I can provide details.
    GRUB works perfectly with Windows XP. we can edit boot.ini file but its lot easier and secure to add entry in GRUB file only. Windows disk and files will be intact in this method.

casper

sim
    Just Joined!
    Thanks to both Casper and Acetoline. I will try the Grub method (since I've started looking into this I'm treating it as a sort of learning exercise and I want to try and get it to work now out of stubborness as much as anything ).

If it fails, I may well ask back for details on how to amend the boot.ini file in Windows to use the ntldr instead of GRUB.

Cheers
    Sim

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    sim
    Just Joined!
    Hooray!!! It works - I now have a slick dual boot system (I'm in Windows at the moment to prove it - er hmmm). I even have pretty-ish colours at the menu interface of GRUB when I go into it at boot-up.

Just to say thanks to everyone for their help and patience.

Now I'm off to the Ubuntu section of the forum to see about this Automatix thing.

Cheers
    Sim

i am glad it worked.... installing Automatix is very easy. just follow instructions given on its site.

casper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3