OK, I am through thumping the desk in frustration, time for a more
rational approach.

I am trying to use a Linux server as a back-up server. It has 3 x 9GB disk drives, one of which has the OS on it and the others are shared out as
win_c2 and win_c3. The idea is that I copy the stuff I want to back up onto these shares, and write them to tape (DDS DAT drive).

I have managed to set up Samba so that I can see win_c2 and win_c3 from
the assorted Windows machines on my home network. But they are read-only.

They are also read-only for linux users (except root, the owner) . I have attempted to use the file utility in KDE to change the permissions. This appears to work, but when you check it, it is still read-only. I have also tried
using CHMOD to set permissions to 777 from the command line. This again appears to work (no error, and get confirmation if using -v option). But follow it with an ls -l and I see that the w is missing from the group and world permissions.

Thinking it might be something to do with being on the top level for the drive, I created a folder for each user (there are 5 of us). I tried using CHMOD to change the permissions of the folders to that of the relevant user. Again, appears to work, but ls -l tells a different story.

So I tried using CHOWN to change the ownership of the folders I just created. But I get something like
chown: changing ownership of 'john': Operation not permitted

This is after using su to be logged in as root. The folders were created as root, and are owned by root.

Is there a -jfdi option for these commands?