Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there! After a long struggle to bring Linux up on its feet, with various hardware conflicts and problems, I managed to bring everything down to a smooth end!...Well, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy X server persistent crash

Hello there!
    After a long struggle to bring Linux up on its feet, with various hardware conflicts and problems, I managed to bring everything down to a smooth end!...Well, I wish...

Now, whenever I try to play ANY video file or DVD, EVERY single time the X Server crashes and performs a restart. I tried Kplayer, LinDVD... everything crashes. My guess is that it has to do with Xine.

My system is:
    Pentium D 3.2GHz
    2GB Ram
    ATI X1900XT PCI-X 16
    2 LCD monitors Samsung, 19''
    Asus P5WD2-E Premium motherboard
    Audigy 4 soundcard

My linux distribution is Mandriva Powerpack+ 2007. Mandiva's support forum sucks to the bone, even for Gold members (which I unfortunately happen to be), as all the problems I had to solve on my own, after multiple system installations, research and experiments.

If anyone can help, please do!... I am starting to lose hope (it's the 3rd time I am trying to migrate to Linux since '99)!

Hello

Hmmm ... Try going into the /var/log directory and - bearing in mind your version of Xorg is probably different - type:

tail -50 Xorg.9.log

or whatever applies to your system.

There might be a clue in there. If X crashes it should be logging the errors each time.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso