Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed Mandriva 2007 (The one off the cover of Linux Mag), This is my first proper experience with Linux so excuse any obvious stuff! From what I can gather ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compiling drivers - What 'extras' do I need?

Just installed Mandriva 2007 (The one off the cover of Linux Mag), This is my first proper experience with Linux so excuse any obvious stuff!
    From what I can gather it has kernal 2.6.17

I am trying to compile a Dlink DWL-510 driver (Realtek driver for better compataiblity I read somewhere). Basically when trying to 'make' the file this comes up:

Makefile:8: /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/build/.config: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target '/lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/build/.config'. Stop.

I'm guessing after doing a bit of research that I need some kernel-header files. Can't for the life of me find them on the 'net! Must be looking in the wrong places....
    Can you just verify that I need the kernel-headers, where to find them and/or anything else that needs installing to compile?

Cheers

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I think you need to install the kernel-source package.

Hi - Yes, you need the kernel source packages. They should be on your installation disk, especially if you installed from a DVD.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso